Women who are legitimately raped, won't get pregnant

bionicarm

Romney will simply distance himself from the guy. Several individuals in Congress are suggesting the idiot drop his nomination run, and do it soon so they can pick another contender to run against the Democrat opponent. So far, he's not backing out, and still plans to run. If the constituents vote the moron in, that pretty much tells you how incompetent the voters in his state are.
Reminds me of when Clayton Williams was running against Ann Richards for Governor of Texas. During some campaign speech, he made some sadistic joke likening rape to bad weather, stating " "If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it".

reefraff

Voting in McCaskell already tells you how stupid those people are.
Romney was among the first to denounce the guy and used pretty strong language.

mantisman51

Being pro-life as I am, I still have no idea, nor have I ever heard, the argument put forth by that guy. I agree that an innocent, unborn baby should not be given a death sentence for a crime that someone else committed, but I sure as heck wouldn't interject myself or my beliefs into whatever a woman chose to do. I cannot see any benefit this congressman thought he would get by talking about this.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488879
The strong language came after Cornyn and several other Republicans chimed in. His first statement was pretty bland.
Do you NEVER tire of making things up?
"Congressman’s Akin comments on rape are insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong," “Like millions of other Americans, we found them to be offensive."
He added that his view was "entirely different" and that Akin's statement was "entirely without merit and and he should correct it."
That was posted on National review online just after midnight LAST NIGHT

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488881
Being pro-life as I am, I still have no idea, nor have I ever heard, the argument put forth by that guy. I agree that an innocent, unborn baby should not be given a death sentence for a crime that someone else committed, but I sure as heck wouldn't interject myself or my beliefs into whatever a woman chose to do. I cannot see any benefit this congressman thought he would get by talking about this.
What the guy said isn't 100% totally baseless but it was completely irrelevant to the issue being discussed. Stress can make it more difficult to conceive but damn, real rape, Seriously"? What an idiot.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He could have just said that he doesn't support abortion, regardless of the circumstances, blah, blah. But, he said, instead, exactly what he believes. That women who are actually raped, don't get pregnant. If a woman doesn't put up the battle of her life and gets herself preggers, then she's not really raped, and I guess she liked it.
I haven't seen what Romney's response is yet, but I will. It better be a whole lot more meaningful then just distancing himself.
This guy makes the old stereotyping of Republicans come to life---an old white guy who is totally clueless about everything but his very limited and sterile world.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488892
He could have just said that he doesn't support abortion, regardless of the circumstances, blah, blah. But, he said, instead, exactly what he believes. That women who are actually raped, don't get pregnant. If a woman doesn't put up the battle of her life and gets herself preggers, then she's not really raped, and I guess she liked it.
I haven't seen what Romney's response is yet, but I will. It better be a whole lot more meaningful then just distancing himself.
This guy makes the old stereotyping of Republicans come to life---an old white guy who is totally clueless about everything but his very limited and sterile world.
This is what Romney said
"Congressman’s Akin comments on rape are insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong," “Like millions of other Americans, we found them to be offensive."
He added that his view was "entirely different" and that Akin's statement was "entirely without merit and and he should correct it."

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488904
This is what Romney said
When the news first broke Romney stated:
Mitt Romney said today Rep. Todd Akin's controversial comments on rape are "insulting."
Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee told National Review Online this morning that Akin's comments on rape are also "inexcusable and, frankly, wrong."
"What he said is entirely without merit and he should correct it," the GOP presidential nominee is quoted as saying.
I don't considert a one or two line statement on this matter from an individual whose representing his party and running for the highest office in the nation sufficient enough. The creaton should be villified to the point that he disappears. What's scary is Ryan sponsored a federal "personhood bill" with Akin about creating an amendment stating that the life of a human being begins at fertilization. This is the vision of the Republican Party. Set this nation back 200 years where an individual isn't allowed to choose what to do with their own bodies, and have the government determine what can or can't be done medically.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/20/712501/paul-ryan-and-todd-akin-partnered-on-radical-personhood-bill-outlawing-abortion-and-many-birth-control-pills/?mobile=nc

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488881
I know this thread is not about abortion, but about a mans opinion on the subject and that person being up for election...but I have to vent:
The day after pill is not an abortion, there is no unborn baby.... it is at the most a few cells that divided within the few hours that the pill is given. The morning after pill causes the minstrel cycle to begin, nothing more. When prolife over the top folks like you go around believing and calling it an abortion pill, and convincing others that's what it is, you cause undo stress on an already tramatized victim of the rape.
I am prolife, and I don't believe in abortion for any reason EXCEPT for the health of the mother, and pregnancy caused by rape. A rape victim that did not come forward and finds out they are pregnant 3 months later can get an abortion and THEN you can say it wasn't the unborn childs fault all you want and I would agree with you, and say it is the womans choice and frankly I wouldn't blame her a bit for it. Legal abortion just because you don't want to be pregnant...that is an atrosity and I argue against it 100%
If the morning after pill were an abortion, than every month a woman does not become pregnant and sheds the eggs from her body she killed a potentual baby. Everytime a woman stops taking her birth control pill which causes the cycle to begin, she killed a potentual baby. There...I had my say.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488928
What's scary is Ryan sponsored a federal "personhood bill" with Akin about creating an amendment stating that the life of a human being begins at fertilization. This is the vision of the Republican Party. Set this nation back 200 years where an individual isn't allowed to choose what to do with their own bodies, and have the government determine what can or can't be done medically.
Your focus is on the abortion issue which diminishes the real issue of a caddish, supremely ignorant, individual chauvinist pig in a position of power in our country. For that reason and that reason alone, he should be ostracized by the Rep. Party, and the presidential candidate. Whatever your position on abortion, it doesn't make you a villain. What this guy said, and how he thinks makes him unacceptable as person with law making powers in Congress.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488936
Your focus is on the abortion issue which diminishes the real issue of a caddish, supremely ignorant, individual chauvinist pig in a position of power in our country. For that reason and that reason alone, he should be ostracized by the Rep. Party, and the presidential candidate. Whatever your position on abortion, it doesn't make you a villain. What this guy said, and how he thinks makes him unacceptable as person with law making powers in Congress.
I agree 100%
I'm pretty sure his career in politics are over, he may not realize it yet but it's over all the same. I wish all the candidates would allow their true colors to shine so brightly. It would make the choice of who to vote for so much easier.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488928
When the news first broke Romney stated:
Mitt Romney said today Rep. Todd Akin's controversial comments on rape are "insulting."
Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee told National Review Online this morning that Akin's comments on rape are also "inexcusable and, frankly, wrong."
"What he said is entirely without merit and he should correct it," the GOP presidential nominee is quoted as saying.
I don't considert a one or two line statement on this matter from an individual whose representing his party and running for the highest office in the nation sufficient enough. The creaton should be villified to the point that he disappears. What's scary is Ryan sponsored a federal "personhood bill" with Akin about creating an amendment stating that the life of a human being begins at fertilization. This is the vision of the Republican Party. Set this nation back 200 years where an individual isn't allowed to choose what to do with their own bodies, and have the government determine what can or can't be done medically.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/20/712501/paul-ryan-and-todd-akin-partnered-on-radical-personhood-bill-outlawing-abortion-and-many-birth-control-pills/?mobile=nc
LOL I don't think anyone of any import cares what you consider. Had Romney acted like a Democrat he wouldn't have said a word until the polling data came back. Even your edited version of Romney's statement makes it obvious he condemned what the idiot said. I see you have joined the other obzombies in parroting the talking point that this is how "The Republican party" thinks. Funny, I haven't seen any support for this guy and the party has pulled it's financial support.

mantisman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488931
I know this thread is not about abortion, but about a mans opinion on the subject and that person being up for election...but I have to vent:
The day after pill is not an abortion, there is no unborn baby.... it is at the most a few cells that divided within the few hours that the pill is given. The morning after pill causes the minstrel cycle to begin, nothing more. When prolife over the top folks like you go around believing and calling it an abortion pill, and convincing others that's what it is, you cause undo stress on an already tramatized victim of the rape.
I am prolife, and I don't believe in abortion for any reason EXCEPT for the health of the mother, and pregnancy caused by rape. A rape victim that did not come forward and finds out they are pregnant 3 months later can get an abortion and THEN you can say it wasn't the unborn childs fault all you want and I would agree with you, and say it is the womans choice and frankly I wouldn't blame her a bit for it. Legal abortion just because you don't want to be pregnant...that is an atrosity and I argue against it 100%
If the morning after pill were an abortion, than every month a woman does not become pregnant and sheds the eggs from her body she killed a potentual baby. Everytime a woman stops taking her birth control pill which causes the cycle to begin, she killed a potentual baby. There...I had my say.
Uh, I never wrote any of what you just attributed to me, but, OK. Glad you feel better.
p.s. I am very pro-life, but I think the morning after pill is the most humane way to terminate a pregnancy and think it is the best way, if it has to be done. So, still not sure what you read into my post.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488936
The whole context and point Akin was trying to get across with this ridiculous warped analogy was his perceptions of how abortions could be avoided, and was using it as a way to validate his stance against abortion as a whole. Ryan has repeatedly in the past flip-flopped on his stance about whether abortions should be legal, even in the event of a rape. You can uphold your views and convictions on the issue, but the bottom line is it's ultimately the woman's choice as to what she wants to do with her body. No government, no person has the right to tell her otherwise.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant#post_3488948
Uh, I never wrote any of what you just attributed to me, but, OK. Glad you feel better.
p.s. I am very pro-life, but I think the morning after pill is the most humane way to terminate a pregnancy and think it is the best way, if it has to be done. So, still not sure what you read into my post.
Post #5 2nd sentence. I don't think you were making a stand really...the sentence is kind of worded in a way that a sensitive person would read into it that the morning after pill is equal to an abortion. When I say "sensitive person" I mean someone who already is suffering a guilt problem, my sister was raped...so I'm going on that thought line.