Women who are legitimately raped, won't get pregnant

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/40#post_3489188
The statement provides an insight as to what this guy believes about abortion and other social issues. I'd take a bet that this guy actually believes what these ignorant "scientist" or whoever gave him these outlandish "scientific facts" that a woman's body is capable of warding off a pregnancy after being traumatized by rape. If he's capable of going off on this bizarre tangent about rape and abortion, what else is he capable of doing or believing? We don't need someone in the Senate that can be persuaded or swayed by stupid conspiracy theories or junk science making critical legal decisions that can affect all of us for years to come.
I agree completely on this one. And his comments about scientists was bull. He read some such crap in some warped politically and religious propaganda piece, or dreamed it up with his like-minded moronic buddies and then it became science for him. I don't care what he thinks as an individual, but as a lawmaker, we have no need for him. He is obviously a chauvinist, a lier about the science crap, and will use his warped prejudices concerning women as he exercises his power in the Senate. He should join up with those who believe in so-called "honor" murders. Its the same mentality against women who are victimized.
The GOP and Romney needed to take it to the next level, and openly tell him he needs to step down. Stop pussyfooting around.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/60#post_3489257
The GOP and Romney needed to take it to the next level, and openly tell him he needs to step down. Stop pussyfooting around.
They already have. Romney did on Tuesday and I believe Ryan personally spoke with the guy on Monday and told him he needed to consider what was best.
Romney's remarks
"As I said yesterday, Todd Akin's comments were offensive and wrong and he should very seriously consider what course would be in the best interest of our country," said Romney in a statement. "Today, his fellow Missourians urged him to step aside, and I think he should accept their counsel and exit the Senate race."

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That statement about seriously consider is rather vague in my view. Apparently Akin did consider what was in the best interest of the country and decided to continue with his candidacy for Senate.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/40#post_3489230
You should care what social policies a candidate believes in. Apaprently that's the main agenda of the RNC. Romney keeps flip-flopping on his stance on abortion, and wanted the issue low-key. Now this Akin dude walks in, sticks his foot in his mouth, and the cat is out of the bag. Ryan even called him to ask him to drop out of the race.
Uh, did you read the main "oath" the RNC is pushing during the convention next week? That's exactly what they want to do. They want an amendment that states life starts at conception, and makes it unlawful to have ANY abortion, including those that would be performed in the case of rape and iincest. Romney's camp won't even commit to have him state this proclamation during the convention because he even disagrees with some of the context of the clause.
Like I said, I could care less. In the case of abortion their is a supreme court ruling it will take a constitutional amendment to undo. Roberts made it clear where he stood on the issue of it being settled law so it would take two more conservatives on the court to overrule the current law and that's assuming Thomas would vote to undo a 40 year old preference which I don't see happening.
But back to the issue at hand this clown showed hes a dumbazz. It isn't because he opposed abortion. It's because he was dumb enough to use the rape comment to try to justify his position.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reading up on all the comments and vids. Yes, seems like there are public calls by Romney team for this guy to step down and disappear.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/60#post_3489266
Like I said, I could care less. In the case of abortion their is a supreme court ruling it will take a constitutional amendment to undo. Roberts made it clear where he stood on the issue of it being settled law so it would take two more conservatives on the court to overrule the current law and that's assuming Thomas would vote to undo a 40 year old preference which I don't see happening.
But back to the issue at hand this clown showed hes a dumbazz. It isn't because he opposed abortion. It's because he was dumb enough to use the rape comment to try to justify his position.
Aren't two of the more Liberally-minded Justices getting close to calling it quits? If Romney does win the election, and they retire within his 4-year (or 8) term, you can all but guarantee the replacements will be Ultra Conservative.

kjr_trig

The guy is a complete idiot and a disgrace to the Republican Party, he needs to go away. I've been saying it for a long time now, Republicans need to quit worrying so much about abortion, gay rights and religion and any other social issue. They can be so offensive when they shove their beliefs down peoples throats and are doing the party more harm than good. Need to focus on the fiscal issues facing this country.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr_trig http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/60#post_3489284
The guy is a complete idiot and a disgrace to the Republican Party, he needs to go away. I've been saying it for a long time now, Republicans need to quit worrying so much about abortion, gay rights and religion and any other social issue. They can be so offensive when they shove their beliefs down peoples throats and are doing the party more harm than good. Need to focus on the fiscal issues facing this country.
This should apply to both parties keeping social and religious ideology out of politics. Yes, the government has a right to decide what should be funded, but should keep their brand of morality out the policy and legislative process. Why would you want the federal gov. involved in this even if you agree with whatever they are trying to impose on the American people? Government should never dictate morality or social morals.

darthtang aw

Government should never dictate morality or social morals.
Interesting, aren't Theft, Rape, Murder, Race hating, Race Crimes, etc. etc. all moral issues?

darthtang aw

Aren't two of the more Liberally-minded Justices getting close to calling it quits?  If Romney does win the election, and they retire within his 4-year (or 8) term, you can all but guarantee the replacements will be Ultra Conservative.
I thought Romney was a "moderate". could you make up your mind.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/60#post_3489279
Aren't two of the more Liberally-minded Justices getting close to calling it quits? If Romney does win the election, and they retire within his 4-year (or 8) term, you can all but guarantee the replacements will be Ultra Conservative.
You'd still have to assume Roberts would play along and I don't think he would. It really doesn't matter because even assuming roe were overturned it would be up to the states to decide.
What in Romney's history would lead you to believe he'd select ultra conservatives?
But that being said, even if I KNEW it would lead to an all out ban on abortion I'd vote against 0bama. As bad as I think it would be to ban abortions the abortion currently sitting in the oval office is worse.

mantisman51

Yeah, this new neocon doctrine is a travesty. What with shoving morality down people's throats and all. Like slavery; how dare those darn Republicans to shove their abolitionist morality down the countries throat?

reefraff

I don't mind them skirting around the edges of moral issues. But when you think about it the Democrats get just as involved. Thanks to them if you get in a fight with someone who happens to be gay or a "minority" you can be charged with a civil right's violation if in the heat of the fight you utter anything that might be considered offensive to the party involved. If you exercise your right to practice your religion and that includes not wanting to rent your garage apartment to someone who's gay same deal.
As far as I am concerned everyone should have equal rights period and no special classifications for anyone.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/60#post_3489310
Yeah, this new neocon doctrine is a travesty. What with shoving morality down people's throats and all. Like slavery; how dare those darn Republicans to shove their abolitionist morality down the countries throat?
The definition of "morality" is not necessarily the same for each person. Something you may deem "immoral" may be natural to someone else. I like having a beer or some hard liquor every now and them. My wife and I like going dancing sometimes on the weekend. Talk to some Southern Baptist about these activities, and he'll claim you're a "immoral heathen" and are damned to a life in Hell. Catholics think it's "immoral" to use any form of contraception. Keep your moral principles to yourself. The government has no business dictating what is moral and what is not.
You completeing lost me with your slavery/Republican statement. Oh that's right. You have this myopic view that if someone criticizes Obama for anything, they must be racist. Go hang out in Alabama and Mississippi sometime. Racism is still alive in some redneck parts of that state.

darthtang aw

The definition of "morality" is not necessarily the same for each person.  Something you may deem "immoral" may be natural to someone else.  I like having a beer or some hard liquor every now and them.  My wife and I like going dancing sometimes on the weekend.  Talk to some Southern Baptist about these activities, and he'll claim you're a "immoral heathen" and are damned to a life in Hell.  Catholics think it's "immoral" to use any form of contraception.  Keep your moral principles to yourself.  The government has no business dictating what is moral and what is not.
You completeing lost me with your slavery/Republican statement.  Oh that's right.  You have this myopic view that if someone criticizes Obama for anything, they must be racist.  Go hang out in Alabama and Mississippi sometime.  Racism is still alive in some redneck parts of that state.
If government has no right to dictate what is moral.....Then why the need for a civil rights act? Why the need for hate crime charges? Are these not "moral" acts of legislature?