Women who are legitimately raped, won't get pregnant

reefraff

I'd agree that not ALL laws are moral based. I don't really see a moral component to something like a speed limit. Yeah, you can try to stretch it into one based on public safety but it's a serious stretch.

bang guy

I don't think it's immoral to not wear a helmet on a motocycle and many states have helmet laws.
I don't think it's immoral to add a deck to your house without a building permit.
I don't think it's immoral to fish without a license.
I don't think it's immoral to hunt Canada Geese with 4 shells in the shotgun.
I don't think it's immoral to target practice with a silencer on your gun.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489708
I don't think it's immoral to not wear a helmet on a motocycle and many states have helmet laws. Morally you wouldn't want to get hurt and bash your head in and be brain damaged, the law is to protect the stupid.
I don't think it's immoral to add a deck to your house without a building permit. It is a law so people can be regulated and not build ugly, dangerous additions that could ruin the value of neighboring houses or be a hazzard to people walking on a platform not checked for safety.
I don't think it's immoral to fish without a license. It is moral to make sure that the fish are not so depleated that they can't survive...so it is regulated how many can be removed before it ruins the fun and food for all.
I don't think it's immoral to hunt Canada Geese with 4 shells in the shotgun. LOL...This law gives the geese a chance, so it's morally good on that level and gives others a chance to hunt too.
I don't think it's immoral to target practice with a silencer on your gun. If folks don't know that others are aiming and firing a gun, they might walk right into a firing range and get shot...the noise helps to avoid that. (not everyone practices on a professional range) I walked right into a range by accident when the people were aiming and about to release arrows (very silent) I could have been killed.
LOL...it all depends on HOW you view things I guess.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489708
I don't think it's immoral to not wear a helmet on a motocycle and many states have helmet laws.
I don't think it's immoral to add a deck to your house without a building permit.
I don't think it's immoral to fish without a license.
I don't think it's immoral to hunt Canada Geese with 4 shells in the shotgun.
I don't think it's immoral to target practice with a silencer on your gun.
I might have to dispute that fishing without a license thing LOL!

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489712
LOL...it all depends on HOW you view things I guess.
We can agree to disagree. I see nothing immoral with any of the actions I posted. What you posted are exceptions to the norm and a different law could cover those specifics and perhaps be considered a law based on morals. Like making it illegal for stupid people to ride motorcycles, build decks, etc. Canada Geese are a pest so in my opinion it's immoral to have any law at all governing their riddance. Fishing licenses do not guarantee fish in the water. If fact, a lot of the money is spent introducing invasive fish that make the native fish scarce, that's immoral in my opinion. On the gun, I can tell you're not familiar so I'll not go there. :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/80#post_3489329
If a gay male is beaten senseless by four or five rednecks, and they didn't call him a derogatory term that describes his sexual preference while pummeling his face, then they should just be prosecuted for the offense itself, and not also for the reason why they were beating him in the first place? Those "offensive words" are used in a lawsuit because they provide the motive for the beating.
If you keep using the term "redneck" to describe people in the So. it may be that some here may take offense and decide to file a lawsuit against you. I am from the South, and would not appreciate being called a redneck or referencing people from the So. as rednecks.
You see how ridiculous it can get? Zimmerman almost being charged with a hate crime comes to mind. And some would argue that him being charged with murder 2 because a black male was involved was racially motivated---especially when the initial presumption was that he was "white".

mantisman51

To people of the left persuasion, redneck is the white version of the "n" word. Also, on a side note, the term "redneck" has been bastardized by Jeff Foxworthy. He has substituted redneck for hick. In the 60's and 70's, when we would call hippies "long hairs" due to their nonconformity, they would call us who were traditionalists "redneck". It meant a person of conservative beliefs. Thanks to Mr Foxworthy, it now means someone missing teeth and no social grace.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489722
If you keep using the term "redneck" to describe people in the So. it may be that some here may take offense and decide to file a lawsuit against you. I am from the South, and would not appreciate being called a redneck or referencing people from the So. as rednecks.
You see how ridiculous it can get? Zimmerman almost being charged with a hate crime comes to mind. And some would argue that him being charged with murder 2 because a black male was involved was racially motivated---especially when the initial presumption was that he was "white".
I live in San Antonio, Texas. Unless you live in Miami or Key West, I'm probably more Southern than you.
So because Zimmerman is part Hispanic, that means if he attacks a person of a different race, it wouldn't be considered racially motivated? He sterotyped the Black kid in the hoodie. In his mind, someone that fits that description would be considered "suspect" even if he's doing nothing at all. Neither he or his attorney' would ever admit to that fact, but why else did he approach the kid in the first place if that's isn't what he was thinking?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/80#post_3489637
No, my assumption is not that the law makes an act moral. But that all laws are formed off a moral compass. Congress did not enact a law banning abortion. Thus the government has not officially weighed in on this. The states atried and the supreme court stated they couldn't.
Just because something is law however does not mean it is a moral law, and that has never been my point. My point is all laws are based on a person's morals. Hitler had no moral qualms about killing jews, ...But due to his lack of morals thus became law and policy. You would agree it is immoral to kill jews correct? EVERYTHING is based off morals. So to say government should stay out of moral decisions in our lives, is ridiculous. It is impossible.
But whose morals take precedence? Why should someone's "morals" about abortion or gay marriage take precedence over someone who disagrees with that viewpoint? That's the fallacy of the Federal Government. They've been given too much power to differentiate what "moral" is in regards to creating specific laws. You want to ban abortion or ban gay mariages? Make it a Constitutional Amendment allowing every legal voter the opportunity to vote on it. Don't leave it up to someone in Congress to make that type of decision. And please don't tell me about representation. I didn't vote for any of those clowns that are from Texas in the House or Senate.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489727
I live in San Antonio, Texas. Unless you live in Miami or Key West, I'm probably more Southern than you.
So because Zimmerman is part Hispanic, that means if he attacks a person of a different race, it wouldn't be considered racially motivated? He sterotyped the Black kid in the hoodie. In his mind, someone that fits that description would be considered "suspect" even if he's doing nothing at all. Neither he or his attorney' would ever admit to that fact, but why else did he approach the kid in the first place if that's isn't what he was thinking?
What in the world does living in TX have to do with you frequently using the term "rednecks" in discussion here, which can certainly be taken as a slur by many. Yes, I do live in Key West.
Also, so you have decided that Zimmerman is guilty of a hate crime prior to the FBI making a determination. Are you psychic?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489733
What in the world does living in TX have to do with you frequently using the term "rednecks" in discussion here, which can certainly be taken as a slur by many. Yes, I do live in Key West.
Also, so you have decided that Zimmerman is guilty of a hate crime prior to the FBI making a determination. Are you psychic?
Texas is in the South. You stated using the word redneck in a derogatory tone is an insult to Southerners. So essentially I'm insulting myself. Redneck is used in the context of someone whose essentially illiterate and has no concept of what's "normal". Take the Honey Boo Boo family. They pride themselves in being overweight, getting pregnant at an early age (try 15), having a pet pig that they dress up and allow to defecate on their kitchen table that they eat on, and pride themselves in making main dishes out of road kill. If that's not the definition f redneck, I don't know what is.
Looks like you're getting some of the effects of Isaac right now. Be careful and stay safe.
The local authorities and prosecutors are the ones who are stating that Zimmerman's actions are akin to hate crimes. If they are able to prove that in a court of law, I imagine he'll get prosecuted for those actions.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489724
To people of the left persuasion, redneck is the white version of the "n" word. Also, on a side note, the term "redneck" has been bastardized by Jeff Foxworthy. He has substituted redneck for hick. In the 60's and 70's, when we would call hippies "long hairs" due to their nonconformity, they would call us who were traditionalists "redneck". It meant a person of conservative beliefs. Thanks to Mr Foxworthy, it now means someone missing teeth and no social grace.
I had a VERY liberal teacher in High School who had an angry parent come in for a meeting. It was a black family and their son had complained that this teacher was talking about N words in class. The teacher tells the parent "Did he explain to you what I was saying?" to which the parent says "NO". The teacher had told the class his definition of a N was "A Black Archie Bunker Redneck" He and the parent had a good laugh.
People have lost their sense of humor.
When I bought my first place back in 89 the broker showed me a pocket knife he had. On one side there was a silver cross. On the other was a hooded klansmen. He said his best customer for them was a Black Sargent at El Toro Marine base who gave them to all his friends and family. Oh, the broker, he was married to a black chick who I still swear was Hally Berry LOL!

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489745
Texas is in the South. You stated using the word redneck in a derogatory tone is an insult to Southerners. So essentially I'm insulting myself. Redneck is used in the context of someone whose essentially illiterate and has no concept of what's "normal". Take the Honey Boo Boo family. They pride themselves in being overweight, getting pregnant at an early age (try 15), having a pet pig that they dress up and allow to defecate on their kitchen table that they eat on, and pride themselves in making main dishes out of road kill. If that's not the definition f redneck, I don't know what is.
Looks like you're getting some of the effects of Isaac right now. Be careful and stay safe.
The local authorities and prosecutors are the ones who are stating that Zimmerman's actions are akin to hate crimes. If they are able to prove that in a court of law, I imagine he'll get prosecuted for those actions.
There are plenty of northern Rednecks too. I used to live in Montana and northern Idaho LOL!
I haven't heard anything about the locals wanting to prosecute Zimmerman for a hate crime. I know the FBI was looking at it but I don't think they've decided on anything. I assume they'll keep that in their pocket to calm the riots when Zimmerman beats the murder 2 charge (I don't believe they can make that stick)

sweat90lx

Texas and South Florida are not "the south". There are Texicans in San Antonio and South Florida is mostly North Cuba and relocated New Yorkers.
I live 30 miles from the Florida line and 60 miles from the Atlantic in the deep south in the Bible Belt of Georgia.
Too many people think of rednecks as no teeth, uneducated people but most are self sufficient people that can survive without assistance.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489955
Texas and South Florida are not "the south". There are Texicans in San Antonio and South Florida is mostly North Cuba and relocated New Yorkers.
I live 30 miles from the Florida line and 60 miles from the Atlantic in the deep south in the Bible Belt of Georgia.
Too many people think of rednecks as no teeth, uneducated people but most are self sufficient people that can survive without assistance.
Is that what they call "Redneck Geography"?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392706/women-who-are-legitimately-raped-wont-get-pregnant/100#post_3489955
I agree. Rednecks are self sufficient innovators that work hard for their money and will never pass someone in need without trying to help. I'm not sure when the terms white trash and rednecks were lumped together.

darthtang aw

I agree.  Rednecks are self sufficient innovators that work hard for their money and will never pass someone in need without trying to help.  I'm not sure when the terms white trash and rednecks were lumped together.
Around the early 90s.