Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Special Interest Forum › Lighting, Equipment & DIY › non drilled refugium

non drilled refugium

post #1 of 13
How would I go about putting a refugium on a non drilled tank? Can it be done? I plan on it being the same size as my mini tank (20gal) and would like the benefits, as I am going to be putting 2 clowns and a host in the tank.
post #2 of 13

Two options. First and easiest is an in tank refugium. Just partition the tank to protect the pods and plant life. see: http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/101556/in-tank-back-wall-refugium

the other option is to use an HOB overflow box/surface skimmer. the in tank box limits the amount of water that can flow into the sump/refugium durin power outages while still maintaining syphon for when the power comes back on. Basically two boxes with on in and one out of tank with a U tube between the two. The one I bought for my 55g would be a bit big for a 20g but was worth the ~$80 price. And it is adjustable to set the tankwater level.

post #3 of 13
Where as I think Bob'sidea is novel I don't think you want to eat up half of your 20 gallon with his type refugium. Look for an overflow box that will handle 300-600 gph and pipe it to your refugium below then get a small mag pump that will pump around 350 gph at your head level to pump the water back up.

Rich
post #4 of 13
I agree the in tank for a 20g might take up too much room.

Perhaps a hang on back refug would be sufficient for a 20g.
post #5 of 13
Thanks for the info. I think what i would really like to do is get another 20gal and have it right next to the one I have. Im not sure if this would work but if I took two u shaped pieces of tubing and put them going from tank to tank, and put a powerhead one one, the diff pressure SHOULD keep the tanks even and flowing. But im not a physics major.:D Anybody know if this will work or if not, where I can get a overflow box that wont flood a tank during power outages for not-so-expensive?
post #6 of 13
Just rambleing here-never actually done this.

If you could raise one tank higher then the other then the higher tank could drain into the lower tank. And by tipping the higher tank you could insure the edge or corner near the lower tank is where the draining would occur. or use a utube syphon between the two. the all you would need is a pump (even a powerhead) in the lower tank to pump water into the higher. If the lower tank water level drops below the pump then the water flow stops. If the power stops then the higher tank would drain until the levels are the same in both tanks. if the syphon breaks then hopefully the higher tank will overflow on that lower edge into the lower tank.

Geesh things get complicated LOL.
post #7 of 13
Originally posted by beaslbob

Geesh things get complicated LOL.
Yeah, tell me about it! Im STILL trying to design an escape proof tank for a octo. The only problem with tipping the tank is that it puts tons more stress on the seals, and makes bursting 10x more likely. But you did give me an idea. If I make a 1/2" pedestal for one tank, this should give me enough gravity to keep the siphon active, but it will require a low rate powerhead/pump. But, since this is a refugium, slow is good! Thanks for the input.
post #8 of 13
Easy!

Get an overflow box and set up a wet dry system under the tank and plumb a refugium to that.

That will clear up all your tank from heaters, pumps and such and placed in the sump and refugium.

Please get more informed on the hobby as this is a pretty basic question.

Stop by a good LFS and tell them you want to set up a sump and need an overflow box. Most wet/dry filters come with the overflow.
post #9 of 13
Originally posted by XenoMorph
Thanks for the info. I think what i would really like to do is get another 20gal and have it right next to the one I have. Im not sure if this would work but if I took two u shaped pieces of tubing and put them going from tank to tank, and put a powerhead one one, the diff pressure SHOULD keep the tanks even and flowing. But im not a physics major.:D Anybody know if this will work or if not, where I can get a overflow box that wont flood a tank during power outages for not-so-expensive?
I'll look for the post but there was someone here that had his fuge sitting next to the display and had the U tube going directly into the display. It was a slick setup. I do believe he still used a overflow box though.
post #10 of 13
post #11 of 13
One last thought. There are also people here that have made rubbermade fuges and placed them above the tank. This way you can easily drill the rubbermade container and allow the water to flow back to the display.
post #12 of 13
Thanks for the reply. I know how the overflow systems work. I have a good deal experience with fish and tanks and used to work at a LFS.I do see how it looked like I didnt know though. What im trying to do is have the refugium a display tank right next to the regular display tank. This puts the tanks on the same level, right next to each other, creating a slight problem with the siphon/gravity of a OTB overflow box. Im trying to have the flowrate between the two while maintaining equilibrium.
post #13 of 13
Thanks ReefNut. Good link. If Im not mistaken, that tells me my idea will work. Now I just hope the wife likes it!:rolleyes:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Lighting, Equipment & DIY
Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Special Interest Forum › Lighting, Equipment & DIY › non drilled refugium