Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Saltwater Fish Forum › Aggressive Fish › lion fish stings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

lion fish stings

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 
anyone been stung by a lion fish?????
i just got my first one today. I am alittle nervous about it. how bad is it?
post #2 of 55
Your chances of being tagged are slim. The fish will probably avoid your hand at all costs, and only become defensive if you were to corner it or it felt threatened. The pain is SEVERE. Figure it like being stung by multiple large bees at the same time. Expect redness, swelling and possibly some numbness, that may last for a few days. In the event you would get stung, immerse the area in as hot of water as you can stand for as long as you can stand. A trip to the ER might be in order, depending on the reaction/pain level. It hurts like a mofo.
post #3 of 55
Thread Starter 
the dr office is what i am trying to ignore. is it that severe. that sounds like it would suck bad. :mad:
post #4 of 55
A trip to the ER does NO! good. I've had several people tell me that best you can do is take some allergy medicin and just sit down and rest. Hospitals in the USA do not carry antidote for lionfish stings (not really a common problem here) So ER is not going to help. I'm getting my lion within the next week (after my inverts break in) and I asked all the same Qs!!
post #5 of 55
Just remember that lions are not aggressive fish. Predatory, but not aggressive. If you get stung, it was a defensive action on the lion's part. Just don't corner the fish and stay out of its' way and you'll be fine.
post #6 of 55
Well coming from experience, I can tell you that a lionfish sting is no walk in the park. I have been stung four times, and all four times I have had the sting under control in 15 minutes without any medicine or hospital visit. All you need to do is run the infected area under very hot water. The first time I was stung, I did not realize it, and the area I was stung swelled up like a golfball, but hot water controlled it from spreading through my body.

On a positive note, I have never been stung by one of my two lions that I have in my tank (I have had my volitan over a year now, with the dwarf being a recent addition). Like stated, they are not aggressive and will not just come at you because they are aggressive (like a trigger). I even hand feed my lions, without any problems whatsoever. My new baby dwarf is so small that when I am giving him ghost shrimp, I let him bite the ghost shrimp out of my fingers so that no other fish get it.

Good luck!
post #7 of 55
Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Well coming from experience, I can tell you that a lionfish sting is no walk in the park. I have been stung four times, and all four times I have had the sting under control in 15 minutes without any medicine or hospital visit. All you need to do is run the infected area under very hot water. The first time I was stung, I did not realize it, and the area I was stung swelled up like a golfball, but hot water controlled it from spreading through my body.

On a positive note, I have never been stung by one of my two lions that I have in my tank (I have had my volitan over a year now, with the dwarf being a recent addition). Like stated, they are not aggressive and will not just come at you because they are aggressive (like a trigger). I even hand feed my lions, without any problems whatsoever. My new baby dwarf is so small that when I am giving him ghost shrimp, I let him bite the ghost shrimp out of my fingers so that no other fish get it.

Good luck!
I too was stung several years ago. I soaked my hand in the hottest water I could stand and squeezed the puncture area. Felt like several bee stings but the pain left rather quick as I recall..maybe 15-20 minutes. I soaked the hand immediately but I recall it did hurt like hell.
post #8 of 55
I think im going to avoid a lionfish for sometime. LOL They should make a movie like jaws with huge lion fish swiming around
post #9 of 55
Thread Starter 
lol salty
so hottest water i can stand will help kill the venom and stop it from spreading?
ok i will keep that in mind better not happen lol
thanks
what would very bad case be??
swelling pain, what is the worst that i would need medical attention for.
but it better not happen
post #10 of 55
I understand that hospitals here in the US don't carry antidote.
But, imho If you were to get stung everyone takes pain a different way, and everyones body reacts different to the same thing. And I would feel a tad bit safer at a hospital than at home. I am a what if kind of girl. What If I passed out? What if I stopped breathing?
I know chances are that would never happen.
But I wouldn't say a trip to the ER does no good.
I would say try to get it your sting under control if you can't then go to the ER.
I don't want anyone losing a limb or finger cause they saw no need for medical attention.
post #11 of 55
Originally Posted by nemo lover
I don't want anyone losing a limb or finger cause they saw no need for medical attention.
Yeah, that would be bad....

Seriously though, unless you are allergic to bee stings, it's not that bad if you run it under hot water immediately. It controls it well. I do not think most hospitals will even know what a lionfish is. My best advice is make sure there is someone to watch you while you run your hand under hot water, just in case you pass out, which is not unlikely in some cases.
post #12 of 55
Thread Starter 
cool input what about viniger? someone told me to use viniger! or is hot water better
post #13 of 55
Never heard of vinegar being used. All the experts say hot water.
post #14 of 55
just a side note. lion stings are not fatal to humans, unless one is highly allergic (anaphylaxis) to bee stings or other venoms. Hospital treatment will consist of supportive care. ie. oxygen, pressor drugs(to keep blood pressure stable) until patient is ready to go home. Hot water will break down venom to less harmful by products. While not a fun experience, most lion stings are equated to really bad bee stings.
post #15 of 55
If it was on my list and I had the proper set up for it, I would certainly get a lionfish. Just always know where they are in the tank. IMO, if you are stung, it was something you did (bumped into it, etc). They are beautiful and rewarding fish to keep. :yes:
post #16 of 55
i have a dwarf lion right now and he is the funniest fish i have. on one occasion i stirred up my sand and i couldn't really see in the tank because the sand made it kinda murky. i moved a piece of live rock while still murky. well when i dropped that piece of rock out swam my lion. he was in a creavice in the live rock but felt no need to sting me thank god. he's a good 5 inches long right now too.
post #17 of 55
They wouldn't "sting" you like a bee...its not really a decision it made. It just stayed put. Had your hand closed on the fish, the spines would have punctured your skin and you would have been "stung." You generally have to hit the spines yourself. So it is well defended, but not aggressive. It makes the decision basically to stay put and erect its spines. You get to do the rest, which isn't much consolation :D
post #18 of 55
Originally Posted by ophiura
If it was on my list and I had the proper set up for it, I would certainly get a lionfish. Just always know where they are in the tank. IMO, if you are stung, it was something you did (bumped into it, etc). They are beautiful and rewarding fish to keep. :yes:

I agree. I have never felt threatened by my lions.
post #19 of 55
I remember in my old setup my husband trying to hand feed a clown, and rubbing up against the lion, and nothing happening. I do feel thier dosile.
post #20 of 55
Thread Starter 
mine looks at me like food!!!
i think he has a bad attitude
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Aggressive Fish
Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Saltwater Fish Forum › Aggressive Fish › lion fish stings