Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Saltwater Fish Forum › Reef Tanks › How to get rid of nuisance anemone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to get rid of nuisance anemone

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
I have a ton of nuisance anemone is there a safe way to get rid of them or something that will eat them and not my other anemone's?
post #2 of 31
syringe + kalk paste works well.
post #3 of 31
if u have a big enough tank get a fox face
post #4 of 31
I have found that joes juice work really well the key is to stay ahead of them and don't let them repopulate I treated mine weekly until they were gone. Bergia Nudibranchs also work well as long as you don't have any critters that will eat them.
post #5 of 31
Joes juice works but a waste of money, Teen has it right give em a squirt of calcium. Get a plastic syringe and start squirtin. I adapted my syringe to a long plastic handle with long push rod so I can squirt without putn my hands in the tank
post #6 of 31
Originally Posted by ratrod View Post
Joes juice works but a waste of money, Teen has it right give em a squirt of calcium. Get a plastic syringe and start squirtin. I adapted my syringe to a long plastic handle with long push rod so I can squirt without putn my hands in the tank
Just out of curiosity how do you mix your calcium? I tried once but it was so clumpy that it kept plugging the syringe.

One thing to keep in mind though if you use calcium you will definetly affect your water parameters, Joes juice claims there product does not affect your parameters and I can say that I used a bottle a week in my 55g for 4 weeks and never saw any of my parameters out of wack. Has anyone ever seen joes juice affect anything?
post #7 of 31
Originally Posted by natclanwy View Post
Just out of curiosity how do you mix your calcium? I tried once but it was so clumpy that it kept plugging the syringe.

One thing to keep in mind though if you use calcium you will definetly affect your water parameters, Joes juice claims there product does not affect your parameters and I can say that I used a bottle a week in my 55g for 4 weeks and never saw any of my parameters out of wack. Has anyone ever seen joes juice affect anything?
i never have
post #8 of 31
use kalkwassser. put a tablespoon in a cup and add a tiny bit of tank water or RO water. mix it up until its a paste. a little bit more liquidy than tooth paste. suck it up in the syringe and inject the anemone in its side. if you try going head on, itll close up and make it hard to get to.

the small amount of kalkwasser will hardly make a difference in your water parameters. maybe spike the pH a tad bit, but i doubt you would notice more than .1 or .2 of a spike. do it at night if you're scared of a pH spike.
post #9 of 31
Just read the ingredients for Joes juice and it is just Water Calcium Hydroxide and Non-iodized salt, so in laymans terms it is just Kalkwasser (Lime water) and sea-salt. So I guess using kalkwasser alone won't affect your parameters any more than using joes juice will.
post #10 of 31
if your talking about aptasia a good option are pepermint shrimp. I got one and they seem to have disappeared for me. I tried Joes Juice with little results. They would just reapper after I shot them. I would suggest peppermints.
post #11 of 31
I'm in the same boat! I've trie Joe's Juice and peppermint shrimp with no success. Now I bought a copperband butterfly, but he isn't going near them either! If you figure it out, let me know what you did!
post #12 of 31
I had about 10 Aptasia's in my tank that were bothering me like crazy... I put two peppermint shrimp in there and the Aptasia were gone within a week
post #13 of 31
I have to say if you have used Joes Juice and it hasn't worked you have to be doing something wrong I know for a fact that it works and it works well otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go from this:



To This:


and it was far far worse before I started with the Joes juice and I removed 95% of them inside of a month and now I am working on the few leftovers that were under rocks or are able to retract inside of the rock.
post #14 of 31
0 items in your cart.

Sub-Total: $0.00









Copperband Butterfly $29.99
Free Shipping
Chelmon rostratus






The Copperband Butterfly is one of the few Butterflies that is commonly distributed for the home aquarium. These exquisite fish are silvery-white in color with orange vertical bands, as well as a "false eye" at the rear of their dorsal. The Copperband has an elongated mouth which it uses to pick at coral heads, including nuisance Aiptasia. These fish will accept many fish foods, but require excellent water quality. The Copperband is very docile and gets along well with other community fish. These fish will also eat nuisance glass anemones (Aiptasia). It is best to only keep one per tank.

The family of Butterflyfish get their name from their behavior of fluttering around the reef. These fish typically have rather round and thin bodies. They are very colorful and some have extended snouts which they use to reach worms entrenched in the reef.




post #15 of 31
Copperband Butterfly never hurt a good thing in my reef
post #16 of 31
I put a rose urchan in my tank a couple weeks ago and he ate the aiptasia in my tank
post #17 of 31
kalkwassser and a peppermint shrimp have both worked fro me. I shot the kalk paste into the head of the Aiptasia the sucked it out with a turkey baster and haven't had any come back.
post #18 of 31
Thread Starter 

Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try a few pepermints for a start. Will the Joes juice, kalkwassser, or to many calcium squirts hurt my Long Tentacle Anemone? I have had it for 5 years & it is about a foot tall, I'd hate to do anything to hurt it.
post #19 of 31
Do all things in moderation. It will only affect what it has direct contact with if you don't go nuts.

Kill a few each day. Don't try to wipe um all out and use the whole bottle in one attack.

They will sometimes retreat and require a secound punch.

Still say Copperband Butterfly

Fun to watch them be hunted down and munched.

You will try to grow more just to feed your fish.
post #20 of 31
Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
Do all things in moderation. It will only affect what it has direct contact with if you don't go nuts.

Kill a few each day. Don't try to wipe um all out and use the whole bottle in one attack.

They will sometimes retreat and require a secound punch.

Still say Copperband Butterfly

Fun to watch them be hunted down and munched.

You will try to grow more just to feed your fish.
hahaha try to grow more to feed your fish, a copper banded butter fly reported by another site, i will not mention the sites name but they are said to eat well over 3000 a week if they are avilable, pepperment shrimp will eat it also, but if the glass anemone is to large 3/4" or larger the pepperment will get full and not eat the hole thingso it ends up just regrowing and they dont work, copper banded butter flys are also know to eat zooas, some do some dont, if you go the butterfly route know its like a 50/50 chance you get one that dosent like your corals
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Reef Tanks
Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Saltwater Fish Forum › Reef Tanks › How to get rid of nuisance anemone