Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Welcome to the Hobby! › New Hobbyists › what eats hair algae
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what eats hair algae

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
i have green hair algae and its not horrible, (i kinda like a lil on the rocks) but it looks really bad on the sand bed what will eat it Hermits?
post #2 of 22
Thread Starter 
after searching my algae is a dark green and in the sand i grows in small pea to marble sized clumps it is straight and mostly goes upward and a lil to the sides
post #3 of 22
Lawnmower Blenny.
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
thanks anything except fish do i need more hermits
post #5 of 22
Turbo snails
post #6 of 22
My turbos wouldn't touch mine. It wasn't bad, so I left it, and it eventually died off like my diatoms.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
ya my snails wont touch it either especially the stuff growing in the sand bed
post #8 of 22
I have 1 piece of live rock with it and a lawnmower blenny or turbo snails don't touch it.
post #9 of 22
Originally Posted by socalracer View Post
i have green hair algae and its not horrible, (i kinda like a lil on the rocks) but it looks really bad on the sand bed what will eat it Hermits?
The most ugliest of all creatures, the seahare. They leave some massive poo piles too, so I believe they may be related to elephants, not so sure on that one though.
post #10 of 22
Seahare will eat it and some urchins. Lawnmower blenny will only eat the real short stuff as do the mexican turbo snails.
post #11 of 22
seahares will devourer it and sometimes to the point that they will consume there entire food supply in a short amount of time so if you do decide to get a seahare make sure you have a future home for it or plan on feeding it algae sheets once all the hair algae is gone.

edit: also some fish may try to eat it so its best to take that into consideration.

My dogface swallowed a $25 seahare before it hit the sand.
post #12 of 22
Originally Posted by yerboy View Post
seahares will devourer it and sometimes to the point that they will consume there entire food supply in a short amount of time so if you do decide to get a seahare make sure you have a future home for it or plan on feeding it algae sheets once all the hair algae is gone.

edit: also some fish may try to eat it so its best to take that into consideration.

My dogface swallowed a $25 seahare before it hit the sand.
That's brutal!
post #13 of 22
Originally Posted by Angler man View Post
That's brutal!
Yah and then the puffer swims around the tank acting like he didnt like the taste of it... to late for that huh.
post #14 of 22
Originally Posted by yerboy View Post
Yah and then the puffer swims around the tank acting like he didnt like the taste of it... to late for that huh.

LMAO! What an ungrateful dogface!
post #15 of 22
Originally Posted by yerboy View Post
Yah and then the puffer swims around the tank acting like he didnt like the taste of it... to late for that huh.
I am sorry man but thats is funny lol...
post #16 of 22
Mexican turbos eat it quite quickly. There is a pic of one behind my begging hawk. The large snail.
LL
post #17 of 22
Sea Hares will take care of algae fast. Mine was like a lawnmower and within a few days my 75g tank was hair algae free. Three week later, it was sea hare free too.

Take the advice from yerboy, find another home or feed it algae sheets.
post #18 of 22
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Sea Hares will take care of algae fast. Mine was like a lawnmower and within a few days my 75g tank was hair algae free. Three week later, it was sea hare free too.

Take the advice from yerboy, find another home or feed it algae sheets.
My lfs rents me one $5.00 well $15.00 and will give me store credit for $10.00.
I have him week tops, one or so times a year lol...
post #19 of 22
Originally Posted by keith burn View Post
My lfs rents me one $5.00 well $15.00 and will give me store credit for $10.00.
I have him week tops, one or so times a year lol...
That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! I wish mine would have done that!
post #20 of 22
Originally Posted by Angler man View Post
That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! I wish mine would have done that!
ask.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Hobbyists
Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Welcome to the Hobby! › New Hobbyists › what eats hair algae