Fuzzy pink worm...

post #1 of 17

Found a newbie in our tank today.  It is a fuzzy pink worm about 1/4 inch long with white hairs on the whole body.  It looks alot like a stinging catapillar.  Any ideas???

post #2 of 17

Yep, check out the bristle worms and fireworms on this page, scroll down, you'll find them

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

post #3 of 17

bristle worm! Most are good part of the CUC...they eat detiutis and such!

post #4 of 17

Thanks Slice!  I think it is a fire worm of some kind.  Nasty little bugger...  I will see if I can catch it.

post #5 of 17

Funny you ask this today, I saw one (the first) in my tank yesterday.

post #6 of 17

Got 2 of them under 1 small rock I think they are fireworms of species of Linopherus????  Good? Bad? Definitely UGLY!!!  Wife is posting pics.  What do y'all think?

post #7 of 17

IMG_20110728_142326.jpg

post #8 of 17

The bigger of the 2 worms is about 1 1/4 inches long.

post #9 of 17

Bristleworms ... good members of the clean up crew.  There's over 10,000 different species of them and very few are harmful.

post #10 of 17

So I should put the little dudes back in the tank?  Thanks for the info Bigarn!

post #11 of 17

Yep, put them back and let them do their job.

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarn View Post

Yep, put them back and let them do their job.

+1

Just don't touch it...

post #13 of 17

They are back in the tank.  As soon as they hit the sand they dug in and disappeared.  Then, since my hands were already wet I rearranged the rockwork a little. 

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post

+1

Just don't touch it...

brickwall.gif I accidentally handled one last night. Now, my finger is tingly and has blisters.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post

brickwall.gif I accidentally handled one last night. Now, my finger is tingly and has blisters.

Noted!  Do not touch fuzzy worms!!!!  Got it!

post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post

Bang Guy recently posted (what should be a sticky) to soak the affected area in vinegar to dissolve calcium based bristles and to use duct tape to remove silica based bristles.

post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post

Bang Guy recently posted (what should be a sticky) to soak the affected area in vinegar to dissolve calcium based bristles and to use duct tape to remove silica based bristles.

Thanks! I tried that. I'm just really sensitive to them. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hitchhikers and "ID Please"