› Forums › Saltwater Fish Forum › Reef Tanks › best algae eater?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best algae eater?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
What is the best algae eater? I have some unwanted algae amd I have tried many methods to remove it, buy had no luck. What animal is best to remove this? Tang? Nudibranch? I have an urchin that doesn't do much. How about foxface? Sea hare? Thoughts please.
post #2 of 47

What is your clean up crew now?

post #3 of 47
Thread Starter 
Idk....I had like 15 snails....I think most died form unknown reasons....I have 8 hermit crabs and the pincushion urchin..
post #4 of 47

Well you need more more hermits......I would get some of the large turbos.....2-3.....some nerites and astrea.....10 of each.....and some for your sand....nassarius  10 too



as far as sea hares go...I believe I answered you as did Bang in your  other thread......foxface are supposed to be voracious algae eaters too. need to find the cause too......IMO lack of CUC could be a partial contributor.....


what do you feed?   How much?  how long is your lighting on?    You know the questions by now    LOL

post #5 of 47
Thread Starter 

i feed pe mysis. not much. lights from like 7 am to 8 pm.

phosphates 0....

post #6 of 47
I like many of the Acanthurus tangs
post #7 of 47

What kind of algae?

post #8 of 47
Thread Starter 
Will upload pics mom thinks its grass. Some is wavy, some light brown, most looks like green or chaeto.
post #9 of 47
Thread Starter 





IMAG0379.jpg     IMAG0380.jpg PLEASE HELP...

post #10 of 47
Thread Starter 


post #11 of 47

There's a pettern in your algae that I have seen before and it's pretty much the worst case scenario.  I see some rocks with no algae and some completely covered.  I've seen this before, fairly often.


Hopefully I'm wrong and it's simply excess nutrients in the water from overfeeding.  Ultimately it is Phosphate causing the algae.


Couple questions to confirm:


1 - Is the top layer of rock in the tank live rock or was it base rock?


2 - If it is live rock, was it ever exposed to high ammonia levels?  by high, I mean above 2.0ppm?


3 - Did you cure it or was it cured by your local store?

post #12 of 47
Thread Starter 
It cant be phosphate its 0. It's tank used. Let tank cycle and I do think it was around or above 2 at one point during the cycle. Can't remember....ammonias
Whats the solutions?
post #13 of 47

Phosphate is the problem.  I guarantee it.


The algae on the sand can be eliminated first by feeding better food, and less of it.  Are you feeding flaked food? (I'm guessing)


An algae scrubber of some type.


There are chemical phosphate absorbers, I've never used them but many here have with success and can give advice.




The rocks are going to be a problem.  What happens when ammonia gets high with live rock is that it kills the animals that live in the rock.  Good live rock has shrimp, worms, bugs, clams, all kinds of animals living in it.  If these are killed by ammonia then the nutrients from the animal are adsorbed into the rock and slowly released at the surface.  This is idea for hair algae because it is able to use the nutrients directly from the rock and no matter how low the nutrient levels are in the water it can thrive.


It typically takes about a year for all of the nutrients to escape.  At that point the hair algae will quickly diminish.

post #14 of 47

A phosphate reactor is an easy thing to hook up....I'd look into one of them..along with the things Bang has mentiones


I would also consider manual removal.....and I see a lot of the rocks have nothing on I would take them out scrub them in a bucket of tank water....and rinse them in a bucket of clean sw


this is not going to go away will need to work at it....BUT I also am a believer in a good need something to help with the "leftovers"   I made some suggestions earlier

post #15 of 47
Thread Starter 
Can i get a sea hare to eliminate the algae?
I have a mag float and i feed PE what...?
post #16 of 47

Sea hare may be a good idea.  Limpets and diadema Urchins are also good.


Mysis Shrimp are an excellent food so you're good there.

post #17 of 47
Hydrogen Peroxide works on bryopsis when you dip the rock. Once you have the water quality good I would try H202. Once you kill off the majority you will then need some way of keeping it under control to prevent it from growing back. Use 4:1 mix of Saltwater to 3% Generic Hydrogen Peroxide as a dip for approximately 5 minutes. Rinse the rock in tank water and replace. There are many people using it at other web sites and you should go and read up on this before you try it as this is experimental and may kill some corals like Xenia.
post #18 of 47
Thread Starter 
I have a xenia that's thriving..... I think ill go with some snails, sea hare, foxface, and maybe lawnmower blenny...sound like an army?
post #19 of 47
Originally Posted by rickross23 View Post

I have a xenia that's thriving..... I think ill go with some snails, sea hare, foxface, and maybe lawnmower blenny...sound like an army?
I would try the CUC first but if it is bryopsis the CUC may not be much help. Elysia spp sea slugs I hear will eat it.
post #20 of 47

If you can find one, the Pencil Streaked Rabbitfish would be better suited for your tank IMHO.  I've had both, they have nearly the same diet.


Picture of the one I had:



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Reef Tanks › Forums › Saltwater Fish Forum › Reef Tanks › best algae eater?