Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Special Interest Forum › Lighting, Equipment & DIY › mold in inside of canopy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

mold in inside of canopy

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
I have black mold growing in the inside of my DIY canopy, painted with white enamel. it is too late to paint it with marine paint since there is no way I can take it off to paint without draining almost all of the water. The plastic center bar cracked a long time ago so the wood center bar that is part of the canopy is keeping the front acrylic from bowing out. Quite the dilema. Any ideas? I would hate to use strong mold cleaner for fear of it getting into the tank (50 g). Also the "trunk lid" brass supports started to rust so I replaced them with hard to find steel ones. Anyone else have these problems.

Thanks:mad:
post #2 of 3
I think your best bet would be to drain the tank down a little and take the canopy off. You don't want to risk putting toxic stuff in your tank. Even if the paint says non toxic its not worth the risk.
post #3 of 3
not to alarm you or anything like that but black mold is dangerous to humans it can cause a bunch of respiratory problems and in the worst case it can lead to a bacterial lung infection that will put you in the hospital for awhile. take the canopy off and get rid of it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Lighting, Equipment & DIY
Saltwaterfish.com › Forums › Special Interest Forum › Lighting, Equipment & DIY › mold in inside of canopy