Posted by firdahunt

• cleans my fish
  • sits in its cave
  • LOOK UP^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Love them

Posted by huiskopen3

• They really do clean and are mostly visible
  • nope, no cons...
  • Cleaner Shrimp...really it's all in the name.  Upon introduction to the tank, the fish will pause for the cleaner shrimp to do a quite detailed cleanse.  Cleaner Shrimp get along with Peppermint Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, and Coral Banded Shrimp. (given territorial space) I suppose other shrimp and crabs too-just haven't had others with Cleaners.
  • Cleaner shrimp

Posted by hdmi12cable

• Clean parasites from fish
  • can get pretty big for a nano tank
  • Cleaner shrimp are a colorfull, fun to watch shrimp that actually benefits your fish. They usually set up shop in a cave wehre they can hang upside down or sideways and the fish will back into the cave to have thier gills cleaned out by the shrimp. These shimp feed on parasites on the fishes body/gills keeping them healthy. They also eat just about anything else you put in the tank that would be considered fish food. They can grow pretty large with thier antennas so they may take up a fair aoumnt of room in a smaller tank. In my opinion these are a must for all reef tanks that don't have a shrimp eating fish in them.
  • Whats Red and White and cleans all over?

Posted by danaj104

• Work like never ending hungry guys cleaning everywhere. Easty to care for.
  • eat My snail larve occasionally
  • I have 3 of these guys right now and they not only set up shop on My reef but get all around the tank as well, cleaning the snail eggs off the glass, algae and food sediment off the sand, even eating the build up algae and sediment off the intake to My filter.  I love watching these guys swim around with all their legs just kicking as fast as can be, its really fun to watch.   They are super simple to care for once they are acclimated, feed the fish, let the light build some algae (a natural event here)  between left over food from the fish feedings and the eggs they get to and the algae, I don't have to specifically provide a seperate food source for them.  
  • Super Skunks!

Posted by businessadvis

• everyting you can imagine and then they do more!
  • none, seriously, none.
  • Everything you have read about these critters is true.  They are awesome tankmates and a downright must for just about any tank.  While I havent had mine for that long, his personality has grown on everyone in the family.  He is always active, looking to clean something.  Has cleaned my fish, my rocks, my sand, and my hand!  They will eat just about anything as I have spotted mine eating a dead bristleworm.  Realistically, i will probably never have another tank without atleast one of these guys.
  • Great Shrimp

Posted by nany3313

• Peaceful, active, great cleaner
  • None
  • Beautiful, peaceful shrimp that is very active in the home aquarium. Will clean fish if they are willing, and can be hand fed with ease. Very curious, as are most shrimp, and a great cleanup shrimp that will handle any dead organism in your tank. Whereas a coral banded is an aggressive shrimp this guy is just a big baby. Molts regularly as do all shrimp and will spend around a day re-cuperating from the process. Overall a terrific shrimp for the home aquarium and does great with other species of peaceful shrimp such as peppermint shrimp.
  • Little Cleaners

Posted by boucher345

• Very active, docile.
  • NONE
  • I would say that as soon as this shrimp was added to the tank it went to work. This shrimp has never stayed still always active and very fun to watch this little guy clean my yellow tang. Great addition.
  • Excellent Cleaner, very active

Posted by Jesterrace

• Very Active, Brightly Colored, Eats Excess Food
  • Might try to steal food from fish when it's really hungry
  • The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is a brightly colored and active member of your cleanup crew.  Not only does it clean fish, it will help source out and eat excess food and will eat what dies in the tank.  Mine is super active and is not shy about going all over the rocks, going down in the sand and if it sees food in the water column it will even swim up to try and grab it (which is really interesting to see).  One thing to remember is that the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp will molt many times during it's life and the first time it happens, it is easy to freak out and assume your shrimp is dead only to find it alive and well in another part of the tank.  Mine would occasionally fight with my Green Mandarin over chunks of Mysis Shrimp or Reef Frenzy, so it can be a little aggressive when it comes to food, but nothing serious.  

Facts & Details

The Cleaner Shrimp, a.k.a. Skunk Cleaner or Scarlet Cleaner, is definitely the most popular shrimp available in the aquarium hobby -- and for good reason. These shrimp have incredible coloring and lots of personality. Their bodies are clear to yellow in color with a deep red stripe down the back, split by a white skunk stripe. They also have long white antennae, which they love to clean daily.In nature, these shrimp set up large cleaning stations on the reef where fish will come to have parasites picked from their skin. The Cleaner Shrimp gladly provides this valuable service to even the fiercist predators. Cleaner Shrimp are often found lingering around an Eel's hole where it will clean the face of the eel as it sticks its head out.In the home aquarium, these shrimp not only are a blast to watch, but will also provide cleaning services for their fellow aquarium inhabitants. This can be very helpful in preventing diseases like Ick. The Cleaner Shrimp will also clean your hand when you place it into the aquarium. They are always hungry and love to be fed. They are very peaceful and more than one can be kept in a tank.Shrimp belong to the Class Crustacea and Order Decapoda, which is characterized by two pair of antennae, three body parts, and five pairs of legs. The head of Shrimp is connected to the thorax and covered by a shell called carapace. The antennae of Shrimp are normally long and thin and serve the Shrimp as extended eyes. Shrimp have highly developed abdomens which allows for quick movement. In order for Shrimp to grow they need to shed their exoskeleton, a process called molting, which allows them to remove their restricting shell and begin a new one. Often times in the home aquarium Shrimp will leave this translucent shell in full view so it can serve as a distraction while the Shrimp finds a hiding place and allows its new shell to harden.Photo by Saltwaterfish.com member, Lauren DeMartini.