Kenya Tree Coral Reviews

Member Reviews

• My Kenya Tree

Posted by shaunmart25

• I bought some Kenya Tree at a LFS for a very cheap price. I placed it on some rubble and within a week, it securely attached to several small pieces of rock. The coral can be fairly territorial, if it is in direct contact with another coral. Kenya Tree needs strong waterflow to help it fully extend its polyps. This coral also multiplies by splitting off branches, and sometimes the branches fall off of the main coral and attach to another piece of rock below. Overall, it is a great beginner coral, but the aesthetic value is low. 
  • Easiest coral to own!

Posted by alanadams43

• EASY! EASY! EASY!
  • can take over, not very attractive
  • I have some Kenya Tree that was obtained on some live rock that I purchased.  I really like it because honestly, I dont have to do anything to it!  They will start taking over though if you allow them too.  If you are a beginner, you cant go wrong with some Kenya Tree coral.

Facts & Details

Leather Corals live in the shallow waters of Tropical Seas & Oceans in all parts of the world, and inhabit Reef Slopes and Lagoons. Leathers will go through a phase when they shrink their Polyps, and secrete a layer of mucus on their body, to be shed later. The mucus coat prevents any algal growth on Leather Corals. Moderate flow must be provided to help them shed this mucus layer or it can suffocate the coral.Leather Corals are moderately hardy creatures, which make them interesting additions to your tank due to their unique fleshy body and colors, especially Browns and Grays. Leather Corals do not have an exoskeleton and their skin has a tough, leathery touch.These easy to care for corals are great for the beginner and do not require high lighting. They do need moderate light and moderate flow.Corals are part of a biological group known as Cnidaria. Most Cnidaria have a mouth,or mouths, that opens into one big body cavity. Due to the lack of a true digestivesystem, this cavity acts in its place and after the food is broken down thenutrients are then sent through the rest of the body as food. There is also noexcretory system; therefore the waste is sent back through the mouth or secretedinto the surrounding water.Tentacles of varying size will usually surround the mouth of Cnidaria. Most Cnidariahave tentacles with stinging cells that can shoot tiny poison darts into their preyor can even be used as a defense mechanism. Some corals lack tentacles and insteadcover themselves with a thin layer of mucus and use that to collect bacteria andplankton as food. Some corals even use both of these methods. Cnidaria can either bean individual animal or members of a complex colony. These "Colony Corals" share thefood and nutrients taken in by each individual.Corals have tiny living organisms that actually live in their tissue. These arecalled zooxanthellae and they are the reason why such strong lighting is needed inthe saltwater aquarium. These algae-like creatures provide the coral with oxygen andother nutrients that are produced during photosynthesis. During this process, thezooxanthellae take up carbon dioxide and provide nutrients to the coral.Corals can use two different types of defense mechanisms. One of which is a sweepertentacle wherein the coral reaches its tentacles out to try to damage another coralwith nematocysts. The other is when the coral releases a minute amount of toxin intothe water to poison another coral within certain proximity.