Nassarius Snail - Group of 10 Reviews

Member Reviews

• Good, but feel there is better out there.

Posted by jetedawg

• Will move your sandbed around and remove any excess toxins.
  • Not very noticable and possibly not doing their job!
  • I purchased a group of these guys and after setting them in the tank close to two months later I can only find two.  They sift the sandbed around a bit, and will clean up after some of the fish, but don't expect them to fix your algae problems.  I would recommend a set of astrea snails before getting these.  They're very tiny so if you end up getting these you're going to have to get a greater amount so they'll be able to do the work they need to.  I do think they're good for a tank, just not necessary for one.
  • Great sand sifter

Posted by nany3313

• Great sand sifter and bed cleaner
  • Hard to keep track of where they are
  • These snails bury themselves deep in the sand bed keeping it well aerated, stirred, and cleaned of detritus. They do a wonderful job and frequently will pop out and scurry around only to dissappear again. Sometimes they will climb up the glass; however most of their time is spent in the sand bed. They are quick for a snail and can move fairly rapidly. A great snail to keep and to have if sand is your substrate of choice. Especially for a smaller tank where the larger sand stirring inverts are not usable. They need prisitine water conditions as do most all marine inverts; however for a dollar a piece they are definitely worth the price. A must buy for your aquarium if you have sand.

Facts & Details

The Nassarius Snail is a wonderful reef tank scavenger. These snails have a trunk-like tube they extend from their curved shells in order to hunt down food. The Nassarius will often times bury itself into the sand bed and wait until it senses food in its vicinity. They are good at keeping the top layer of the sand bed stirred up without damaging microfauna. They are great at removing detritus, uneaten food, and waste from the bottom of aquariums.Snails belong to a Class known as Gastropods, which make up the largest class of Mollusks. Snails grow by increasing their swirling body while producing a protective shell. This shell protects their soft body from predators. They will use a pad, or foot, that extends from their shell which allows them to drag their shell along. As they drag their shell often times their mouth and eyes can be seen coming out from the opening of the shell. When frightened or sleeping this opening can be protected by an operculum, which is a hard protective cover that acts like a door to the shell. Snail identification is based on the color, shape, and pattern of their shell.Photo by Saltwaterfish.com member, BBB: Alex Chappell.

Nassarius Snail - Group of 10

Nassarius Snail - Group of 10

Saltwaterfish.com deals