Vibrio Bacteria ?!?

2quills

Because I hunger for knowledge and I know there's gotta be someone out there who's done some extensive research in this area can help me understand.

I hear that 50% of cases from Vibrio infections are fatal. And that aquarium hobbyists are at much greater risk than swimmers in the Gulf of Mexico or folks who eat raw oysters due to the a enclosed system being much more conducive for rapid reproduction much like a parasitic infestations.

From what I've seen reported cases seem to be about 50/50 between swimmers vs folks who consume it. Although you're more likely to get it via consuming it I'm guessing that the stats simply reflect there are probably more swimmers out there vs folks who eat raw sea food.

Anyone know if this is true?...Anyone?

one-fish

Guess I started this with a goggle search bc that's what I do. I did see at other forums this same discussion none said a greater risk but a risk and wearing nertile gloves when handling LR was advised. During warmer months greater risk consumption was the greatest. I live in VA. never heard of this infection.. was curious...Better Safe than Sorry..

2quills

Guess I started this with a goggle search bc that's what I do. I did see at other forums this same discussion none said a greater risk but a risk and wearing nertile gloves when handling LR was advised. During warmer months greater risk consumption was the greatest. I live in VA. never heard of this infection.. was curious...Better Safe than Sorry..
True, that's what I was thinking...better safe than sorry. But since it was brought up it made me curious.

Apparently dozens of people die from this stuff every year. So it got me thinking. Have many people caught an infection from this stuff in the hobby?

I don't want to get too crazy but the stuff kinda freaks me out. Especially if I don't understand it.

one-fish

My same feelings don't think of finding stats on hobbyists never thought of it but did think twice about hands in tank when I had a lionfish....charged me once...only once

Shilpan

Hey 2quills

Which vibrio species are we talking about here?

The most common one we encounter in medicine from room can contaminated food is vibrio cholera. Causes a bad diarrhoea which is fatal usually in developing countries for young kids

2quills

Well, according to the CDC (center for disease control and prevention) who is thee authority on these matters here in the states the most common form causing infection from seafood is Vibrio Parahaemolyticus.

Vibrio Vulnificus is the more deadly flesh eating type. This is one of the least common types but is responsible for the most deaths. Once this one enters the blood stream you're basically screwed.

Cholera is 4th on the list here according to their charts.

2quills

May not be a bad idea to pick a set of those up. I generally just use nitrile gloves when handling live stock. Although it's usually only for certain ones I know can be toxic.

I'm starting to get a clearer understanding of this bacteria and the various strains. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the strain most commonly found in aquariums (vibrio exopthalmia) which causes pop eye is is not major threat to us.

Your most likely to catch vibrio parahaemolyticus from eating oysters or other shell fish from hot spots where they are collected and or summing with a wound. Although it's typically only fatal for folks in very poor health.

Vibrio Vulnificus (the really nasty one) you're more likely to catch via swimming with a open wound. There are some cases of catching it from eating shell fish but there are 8 to 9 times more cases being infected from a wound.

I don't know about you guys but im not gonna get too crazy over it :rolleyes:.

florida joe

I don't know about you guys but im not gonna get too crazy over it
exactly. D
IMG_2854.JPG
ont eat oysters in summer months if you must only eat from farmed bacteria tested waters.Don't swim with an open cut. And always always wear these when you have to put your hands in your tank

one-fish

Don't think Dad had this in mind.....man how things have changed......Knowledge is King ...not a bad idea tired of my clowns biting me anyway

2quills

Can't leave you guys alone for 2 minutes without someone bringing up human reproduction. Let's stick to the subject plz.

one-fish

Yeah...I get it blame it on the New Guy......seems seeing you two go like brothers ...and ya know I Learn.......why I am here

Last edited:

Shilpan

Vibrio species are only really harmful if you're in bad health or have no medical care in the first place hence in developed countries :)

And yeah I started wearing diving gloves because the foxface had some impressively sized spines on it which I hear have a neurotoxin in them and I don't want to find out