green algae?

Mikeyk84

Hi guys,
I have constant issues with this green algae growing all over my live rock, I have asked at LFS and he has advised me to reduce light time, currently lights turn on at midday and turn off at 7pm.
I tried turning off lights for a full week, that seemed to reduce the amount and turn it brownish. Lots of it died and I scooped it all out.
250l tank
Water parameters
Ph around 8.2
KH 9.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5.0 ppm
Phosphate <.03 ppm
Salinity 1.026
Temp fluctuate from 25.4 - 26
Fish in tank are
osc clown x2
Cleaner wrasse
Blue tang
I OSailfin tang
2 hermit crabs
1 turbo snail
Here is a photo of what im looking at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-27xYxP4TEtMJrlIliMjMjPvXu31M4Py

Last edited:

Mikeyk84

Hi guys,
I have constant issues with this green algae growing all over my live rock, I have asked at LFS and he has advised me to reduce light time, currently lights turn on at midday and turn off at 7pm.
I tried turning off lights for a full week, that seemed to reduce the amount and turn it brownish. Lots of it died and I scooped it all out.
250l tank
Water parameters
Ph around 8.2
KH 9.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5.0 ppm
Phosphate <.03 ppm
Salinity 1.026
Temp fluctuate from 25.4 - 26
Fish in tank are
osc clown x2
Cleaner wrasse
Blue tang
I OSailfin tang
2 hermit crabs
1 turbo snail
Can't upload photo keeps saying file too largw
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Thanks all

lmforbis

Pretty common. Even though your phosphate and nitrate levels are fairly low you have a phosphate and nitrate problem. The green hair algae is essentially consuming it and taking it out of the water. This makes for decent water quality and very healthy hair algae.
The fix is slow. You need to reduce nutrients. Blow off rocks prior to weekly water changes of 25%. Vacuumed SMALL sections of sand every week, different sections though.

You are way over stocked with the two tangs, both of which need a tank 3x bigger than you have. Tangs produce a lot of waste and most need a tank 6 feet long just so they can swim.

What kind of filter are you using? How do you maintain it?

Mikeyk84

Pretty common. Even though your phosphate and nitrate levels are fairly low you have a phosphate and nitrate problem. The green hair algae is essentially consuming it and taking it out of the water. This makes for decent water quality and very healthy hair algae.
The fix is slow. You need to reduce nutrients. Blow off rocks prior to weekly water changes of 25%. Vacuumed SMALL sections of sand every week, different sections though.

You are way over stocked with the two tangs, both of which need a tank 3x bigger than you have. Tangs produce a lot of waste and most need a tank 6 feet long just so they can swim.

What kind of filter are you using? How do you maintain it?
Interesting......
So as for filter I have a ksm160 skimmer in my 3 chamber sump, skimmer cleaned/emptied weekly. Water changes as slightly less at approximately 15%weekly.
Live Rock is close to 50kg. The rock in the sump remains clean.
I can't exactly remember my return pump flow rate,. I do remember getting something that was well above what was required and my powerhead is a sicce voyager 2 I think that was close to 2000l/hr.
Since getting the second tang i feel that the others are swimming around happier? If that makes sense. So I'll try to increase the water changes,
When you say blow off the rock, what exactly do you mean, I'll get right on that on the next change next weekend.... Thank you so much for the Quick reply though

lmforbis

I use a power head and aim it at the rocks. It resuspends the detritus that has settled in the cracks and crevices of the rocks. If you do that right before you do a water change you’ll get rid of a lot of what is feeding the algae.
It will take quite a while for the algae to die off. You don’t want it to die fast or it will just add more nutrients to the water.

Mikeyk84

I use a power head and aim it at the rocks. It resuspends the detritus that has settled in the cracks and crevices of the rocks. If you do that right before you do a water change you’ll get rid of a lot of what is feeding the algae.
It will take quite a while for the algae to die off. You don’t want it to die fast or it will just add more nutrients to the water.
Great thanks for the advice, as usual slow and steady wins the race. I'll follow the instruction and let you know how it goes.