Lion fish tank mates

Jclaeys

Hey everyone I have a small volition lion fish in a 55gal which I know he will out grow I plan on getting a 90 or bigger soon but I was wondering about cool potential tank mates any thoughts?

jay0705

Anything it can't eat. Blue jaw trigger, harlequin tusk, zebra moray, ect. These also need bigger tanks however

Jclaeys

I love the blue jaw triggers. But I Know they need a huge tank do you think a fox face would work in a 100-120

lmforbis

The number of fish in a SW aquarium is not real easy to determine. It is affected by the kind of fish, their temperament, the area of the tank they occupy, their habits, etc..
here are a couple examples

in a 40 gallon you can have a dwarf lion, even though it is a bigger fish its habits don’t include him needing space to swim. But you can’t house any fish he can eat which seriously limits the additional tank mates because you can’t have large fish in a 40 gallon. You could do another lion or maybe a small species of scorpion fish.
in that same tank you can’t do a fish like a flasher wrasse which is small but needs length to swim. its habits make it inappropriate.
you can’t have a dragonet. It is a small fish but it’s feeding habits make it necessary to have a very large tank I order to have enough food.
in a 40 gal you can’t have a damsel because they have nasty temperament and will harass any other fish to death.

if you want a lion fish and only have a 40b you will probably need to stick to a species tank.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
wolf eel (wolf fish) would be sweet. Some get pretty large so it may not be a forever inhabitant, but it would be cool for a long time if you got a smaller one.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Would have been my 1st suggestion if not for the enclosure security issues. Nothing worse than searching for a slime/dust encrusted eel behind your couch lol.

jay0705

The number of fish in a SW aquarium is not real easy to determine. It is affected by the kind of fish, their temperament, the area of the tank they occupy, their habits, etc..
here are a couple examples

in a 40 gallon you can have a dwarf lion, even though it is a bigger fish its habits don’t include him needing space to swim. But you can’t house any fish he can eat which seriously limits the additional tank mates because you can’t have large fish in a 40 gallon. You could do another lion or maybe a small species of scorpion fish.
in that same tank you can’t do a fish like a flasher wrasse which is small but needs length to swim. its habits make it inappropriate.
you can’t have a dragonet. It is a small fish but it’s feeding habits make it necessary to have a very large tank I order to have enough food.
in a 40 gal you can’t have a damsel because they have nasty temperament and will harass any other fish to death.

if you want a lion fish and only have a 40b you will probably need to stick to a species tank.
In my 29 i have dwarf lion and maroon clown. The clown basically has the whole tank but is too big for the lion to eat