Reef tank filtration

Peterbuff

hey guys I recently got a 72 bow front tank with a pro clear wet dry sump and I wanna do a reef tank and I'm not sure what media to get for it ans how much filtration I need to have a decent amount of fish. I also have a coral life 65 skimmer, a mag 7 return pump and over flow box. Also I need help finding a way to protect against syphon breaks on the overflow box. Thanks!!

geridoc

I would run the sump as a straight sump without any W/D filter media. Such media are designed to be highly aerobic, which is great for eliminating ammonia and nitrite, but it produces lots of nitrate. For fish-only systems this is fine, but many reef organisms won't tolerate nitrates. Instead, put some macroalgae in the sump along with some inexpensive lighting, and let the algae take out the nitrogen compounds (with help from the live rock in your display).

Peterbuff

I would run the sump as a straight sump without any W/D filter media. Such media are designed to be highly aerobic, which is great for eliminating ammonia and nitrite, but it produces lots of nitrate. For fish-only systems this is fine, but many reef organisms won't tolerate nitrates. Instead, put some macroalgae in the sump along with some inexpensive lighting, and let the algae take out the nitrogen compounds (with help from the live rock in your display).
So just my regular sponge and refugium and what about if i wanna keep slot of fish in a reef and thank you

florida joe

The amount of fish you have is not predicated on the amount of filtration, it is the amount of nitrification and denitrification that dictates how many fish you can have. Geridoc how does W/D media produce lots of nitrates? The amounts of nitrates produce are a result of nitrification which is keyed into how much biological breakdown is in your tank. W/D media cannot add anymore nitrates to your tank then are normally introduced

Peterbuff

The amount of fish you have is not predicated on the amount of filtration, it is the amount of nitrification and denitrification that dictates how many fish you can have. Geridoc how does W/D media produce lots of nitrates? The amounts of nitrates produce are a result of nitrification which is keyed into how much biological breakdown is in your tank. W/D media cannot add anymore nitrates to your tank then are normally introduced
So how can I have a lot of fish, what measures do I have to take in order to have a lot of fish

florida joe

The number of fish you can have is a direct correlation to the size of the tank you have.

The general rule is one inch overall length of fish for every 5 gallons of water BUT that does not take into consideration bio load due to what the feeding requirements of the fish you are keeping. How much rock work you add to your tank which will displace water. In the saltwater hobby when it comes to fish less is better

Peterbuff

The number of fish you can have is a direct correlation to the size of the tank you have.

The general rule is one inch overall length of fish for every 5 gallons of water BUT that does not take into consideration bio load due to what the feeding requirements of the fish you are keeping. How much rock work you add to your tank which will displace water. In the saltwater hobby when it comes to fish less is better
Oh ok but I see other tanks that have a lot of fish and it's fine how do they do it

florida joe

simple they are not looking at the long term, its easy when you care more about looking good now and not about being a conscientious hobbyist. they load up their tank when a fish dies well so be it they buy another. Is that the type of hobbyist you want to be ?

Peterbuff

simple they are not looking at the long term, its easy when you care more about looking good now and not about being a conscientious hobbyist. they load up their tank when a fish dies well so be it they buy another. Is that the type of hobbyist you want to be ?
But I think looks like it's really successful

geridoc

The first two steps in denitrification are highly aerobic, which is exactly the condition on the surface of a W/D filter, and the output of these steps is nitrate. The final step, conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas, is anaerobic, and occurs in the deeper parts of the sand bed, or using export, such as macroalgae. A W/D is very efficient in producing nitrates, but the final conversion is generally considerably slower, which is why nitrate accumulates.

florida joe

The first two steps in denitrification are highly aerobic, which is exactly the condition on the surface of a W/D filter, and the output of these steps is nitrate. The final step, conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas, is anaerobic, and occurs in the deeper parts of the sand bed, or using export, such as macroalgae. A W/D is very efficient in producing nitrates, but the final conversion is generally considerably slower, which is why nitrate accumulates.
umm i am sure you mean the first two steps in nitrification

geridoc

umm i am sure you mean the first two steps in nitrification
"Nitrification" is a 3 step process in which toxic ammonia is converted into non-toxic nitrogen gas. The fist two steps, ammonia to nitrite and nitrite into nitrate require oxygen, but the final step, conversion of nitrate into nitrogen gas, must occur in the absence of oxygen.

florida joe

Thank you for the clarification on nitrification. I just need a little more Enlightenment if you please. I always thought the three step process in “nitrification” was ammonia (NH³ or NH³+4), nitrite (NO²), and nitrate (NO³). A completely different process then “Denitrification. Denitrification I always believed was through two pathways. Dissimilatory nitrate reduction and assimilatory reduction. Have I been wrong all these years?

lmforbis

nitrificatiin is the breakdown of ammonia to nitrite and nitrate. Denitrification is the final step where the nitrogen is removed as nitrogen gas.