Cycling question

Dan808z

I have a 125g planning on FOWLR. Had some live rock 40-50lb and soaked in fresh water for one week, changed water daily and shot off debris with hose. I put the rock in tank with Fluval FX6 and wave maker running for 2 weeks. Still have some type of live material on rock. I see some green algae growing on one rock. Threw 2 raw shrimp in tank yesterday along with some lava rock 20lb? (very dead) in tank. My test kit came in today, I tested ammonia and no elevation.

My question is with the shrimp in there for another couple of days should I see a rise in ammonia, then take them out and let the cycle begin? Or does anyone think the ammonia spike may have already happened and if so with the added shrimp in there will it happen again so I can get a better idea with where I am at in process?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

jay0705

After 24 hrs u can usually remove the shrimp. Are you reading anything? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates?

lmforbis

I'm not sure lava rock is a good thing to use. Often there is a lot of metal in it. It is better to use rock that is made up of limestone.

I doubt the spike has happened. How big were the shrimp? How warm is the water?

one-fish

I cycled my tank w/raw shrimp (one jumbo) and it took a couple days to see any Amm. and then several days it was off scale. I left shrimp in to rot, if I were to do it again would have taken it out after seeing 2ppm Amm. LR should be added soon due it's own die off if not done yet. Each tank cycle will be different but after the initial spike in Amm. nitrites then nitrates will rise and fall. You must the patient during this process and not add any livestock until the cycle completes. This will take time but will happen..Good Luck.!!!

jay0705

I cycled my tank w/raw shrimp (one jumbo) and it took a couple days to see any Amm. and then several days it was off scale. I left shrimp in to rot, if I were to do it again would have taken it out after seeing 2ppm Amm. LR should be added soon due it's own die off if not done yet. Each tank cycle will be different but after the initial spike in Amm. nitrites then nitrates will rise and fall. You must the patient during this process and not add any livestock until the cycle completes. This will take time but will happen..Good Luck.!!!
Well broken down one-fish

Dan808z

I'm not sure lava rock is a good thing to use. Often there is a lot of metal in it. It is better to use rock that is made up of limestone.

You think it would be ok if I just have a FOWLR? Shrimp were both about 2 inches, I left in shell

Dan808z

Test nitrate and nitrite as well.
Even for just fish the tank needs to be fully cycled.
So if nitrate is up that means ammonia spike has finished? And if nitrates up then tank is close to cycled? I plan on waiting a couple more weeks just because I want sand etc. to all be settled in and get that good bacteria going...

If nitrate is up I assume I get that shrimp out of there?

Dan808z

Thank you!. I am more than patient :) Have been building tank for over 2 months and am in no rush, I want this ecosystem right!

Dan808z

also water is at 79-80 F

beaslbob

I would add macro algae in some kind of in-tank refugium/partition.

Macro and other algae will consume ammonia first then nitrates. So it is possible to have little to no ammonia spike. Sometimes you even get an initial nitrate spike depending on organics at startup.

With sufficient algae, nitrates can simply mean the algae is consuming ammonia. Then as bacterial build up and consume the ammonia, nitrates finally drop down.

my .02

lmforbis

Lava rock is an igneous rock. Most contain metals. Metal can be a problem in saltwater. They can be toxic to the fish.

one-fish

Waiting a couple more weeks is a good thing I was never sure or maybe just unsure that I had cycled my tank, felt the diversity wasn't there meaning as beaslbob pointed out marco growing is all part of what I believe is part of a balanced system Because in the beginning I didn't feel comfortable with my cycle I bought a male fw molly and acclimated it to sw not hard to do and added it to the DT along w/a small CUC testing water parm's daily for 2 weeks or so...all was good added 2 clowns and 6 months later thats my livestock in my 55g as of now....I am not one to give a what you need to do I just will tell you want I did. In your future plan you should know what fish you want your part is to create that environment for them to thrive and have longevity...Like I said only my .02