Cycling question

Dan808z

I did ammonia reading after second day with shrimp in there. This red sea kit is hard to read but my first time doing this so I guess I need to get used to it. At any rate looks like I definitely have an ammonia reading of 1.2-2. Should I now take out the shrimp and begin testing until ammonia drops? Then nitrite nitrate etc.... I appreciate everyone's feedback it is reassuring me to keep it slow and steady

florida joe

I on the other hand would leave it in unless you are talking about a dozen jumbo shrimp. Remember your bio filtration colonies are predicated on the amount of bio breakdown they get. Constant breakdown constant bio development. When your tank is able to cycle at safe levels you can add a CU crew to do what they are meant to do Clean up

one-fish

Did try to retrieve mine but ended up a cloud of mush...but like Joe stated a another beneficial part of building up your biological filtration and yes did add my CUC to do their work, as they too are a part of the balance you should employ

Dan808z

Did try to retrieve mine but ended up a cloud of mush...but like Joe stated a another beneficial part of building up your biological filtration and yes did add my CUC to do their work, as they too are a part of the balance you should employ
Both came out no problem, left them in shell.....thanks!

Dan808z

I'm not sure lava rock is a good thing to use. Often there is a lot of metal in it. It is better to use rock that is made up of limestone.

I doubt the spike has happened. How big were the shrimp? How warm is the water?
Excellent. To save money and restock your rock. Get dry base rock, it will get seeded from your live rock
Here's a pic without the Lava :)

Attachments

jay0705

This is a perfect thread to mention this. I just got home. My new tank has been running about 10 days. I started moving my live rock in about 5 days ago. I took a hob filter off my 75 and put it in the new tank. I mean that filter is crawling with pods. I have no doubt i can switch my fish rt in there. No cycle to worry about, iam adding over a 100lbs of fully cured live rock. Its basically a water change for the fish. I even added a few mollys on monday. 2 black and a sail fin. The 2 black died , the sail fin is a champ. Loves all the room lol. So today iam thinking, it took me a day to find that last dead one. I should test my water. WOW!!!!!!!!! My ammonia is off the hook. I thought wtf?!?!
Maybe i did it wrong, so i test my 75 water, Perfect.
Lesson learned, nothing is ever guaranteed. Test and qt your fish.
I did not put the mollys in to cycle the tank btw. I feel bad for the poor bastard. Watching him you would never know tho. I am gona do a water change and hope to soft cycle it.

one-fish

Hope all is well......Looks like ya gotta do a few more WC...Liking the soft cycle approach wish I did that when I cycled my tank..kinda remember a sticky here posted on the subject

jay0705

Lol its not ideal, but better then if i hadn't checked. I checked the filter after the test. Still pods all over. Iam hoping it was just the dead molly that spiked it and now my rock and bacteria loaded filter should catch up.