Solatube reef lighting

Yeffre

Just returning to reefing after a long break. Back in 2007 I was using 250 MH fixtures and t-5 actinic supplements. The electric bill was killing me. My new tank in 540 gallon 36" deep. I would like to use 2 large solatubes for natural sunlight and led's for color pop and shimmer. i remember a couple of tanks back in the day using solatubes, just wondering, has anyone had long term success with natural sunlight?

jay0705

Natural light is what wild corals use so i would think sure it would work. The issue is alage. With leds you can dial into certain wavelengths that grow coral, but not algae as well

2quills

Yep, seems to work well for mother nature. I guess the key is to find the right balance of too much light vs not enough. So you would be wise to supplement with led just incase.

Yeffre

Yep, seems to work well for mother nature. I guess the key is to find the right balance of too much light vs not enough. So you would be wise to supplement with led just incase.

yes, the led's are much better quality and price now. I plan on adding 3 kessil 360's for blue spectrum for the color pop in corals and fish, as well as shimmer on sand to give it that natural look. I love the idea of adjusting the tank color to my preference with the turn of a switch.