I'M FREAKING THE F OUT!!!!

jussery17

Yeah they ate my Rasta frags that I ordered clean off the rock! Very sure, bc I was questioning myself so I set back and watched them and they ate it all off the rock! And I tried getting some more cuc snails today but none available in my lfs which is way too small!! I had blue leg hermits which I loved but when I saw them eating my beautiful polyps I just couldn't have it! And I have chemi pure elite and a bag of purigen in my tidal 110 for almost 2 months now...it's always been great clear water with no algae problems until the past few weeks!! I will cut back on the light and when it's available get more cuc but would you keep dosing the nopox ?

jussery17

I really wish I had a sump but I have a 75 gallon T hats not drilled so my options were limited! But this Tidal 110 has been.very impressive and has kept my.tank so clean it's unbelievable! I thought I have been doing.great husbandry but since I got this algae spread I guess I haven't! I mean ever since I started this tank 6 months ago I have been non stop on top of it every day! Lol

dustintx

Have you thought about regenerating your purigen?
When it gets dark in color its time to clean and bleach the purigen.
Just a thought.

jussery17

Yeah the thought crossed my mind but hasn't gotten too dark yet...Will try it though thanks...how long does this usually take?

dustintx

Actually,if you only have used it for 2 months,you should have close to another 4 months of use left. But when the time comes it takes about 32 hours to regenerate purigen.

Have you thought about sand sifting stars/brittle stars as a CUC since your having issues with hermits?

jussery17

Well I started to regenerate the purigen yesterday evening....and last night I noticed one of my two clowns, the bigger of the two had a long white string coming out of the bottom of him...and now I'm not only dealing with this algae issue but now that...just really makes me bumbed out bad bc I've had these two clowns since the beginning and just feels like all I've done up to this point was for nothing ! Really makes you wanna throw your hands up! But hopefully he will be ok and will see him today when I get home from work...thanks for all the suggestions..

dustintx

Research clown mating. Ive read during mating and possible egg laying that when they are ready they will have something protruding like you speak of. Remember though,just because one is ready,doesn't mean the other is. Check both clowns for this just in case before you freak out like I did over spaghetti worms,lmao.

dustintx

Also,check for patches of eggs around their hangout incase that is in fact what is happening. May be too late to save the babies if they layed eggs,but atleast you'll know for next time.

Do they seem sick,or just a lil frisky? Lol

jussery17

Wow never would of thought that at all! And they sleep in the top left corner by the filter. They love to hang out in the back left corner or when the current is up and going strong one will sit there and play in the current all freaking day! It's fun to watch their personality! I got a mars aqua light and turned the blues on that night only and the clowns stuck side by side and was wondering what this beam was coming in....well they slowly inched towards the beam and would stick just their heads in it and look up and than quickly run back to their hang out lol and do this over and over! So funny! Anyways mating huh? Wow well the one that had the white string hasn't been really too active but the other one has been swimming in the current over and over...and I didn't even think anything about eggs so I haven't checked just kept an eye out to make sure he wasn't sick

dustintx

Just in case,I'd take a good hard look at your fish for any new marks like Ich that haven't been there. But yes, clowns tend to BOTH have something protruding from there private areas when mating,however if one is not ready to mate that private part will not be protruding like the other fish.
Make sure they are not gasping for air since you said they hang out at the top of the tank.
Make sure they are both eating and being active. BECAUSE USUALLY,during mating the clowns will be extremely active,even darting back and forth and nipping at things like glass and a spot where they are cleaning to lay eggs on.
Basically continue to keep an EYE on them and do your normal water changes and check water parameters often!

jussery17

Yeah everyday I come in from work and they all are there doing.their dance when I walk in....and I look closely at each fish for at least 5-10 min to check on them....So their good on that, but the darker/bigger one swims a lot with the little/brighter clown, but the lighter one just freaking loves swimming.in the power head current going along the front.of the tank prob over 100 times a day! But the other one does swim with him sometimes but after the white string thing she has been up in the top left corner (where they sleep at night) not gasping for air at all but from watching.him for the last hour, looks like she is guarding that top corner and nipping at the walls and heater and tank wallS around her.....like she's cleaning or eating....and sometimes the lighter one will swim over to almost try to get her to come swim with him lol...anyways heres a pic of the one clown in the top left corner and the other one I finally caught a pic of him before he caught the current.......as iam dosing nopox, levels are all normal with nitrates just below 10ppm....don't see any eggs up in that corner or anywhere but will keep an eye out....I did notice my pH drop just a hair and is about 7.9-8.0
KIMG0448.jpg

dustintx

One more thing. It could be internal parasites. I'm no vet and just want to give you all of your options and let you decide. Before you go on what I said prior,I'd look into "Prazi". It's medicine for internal parasites that you can use in your DT. I just don't want to steer you wrong. Just worries me that you mentioned one is swimming more freely and is more active than the other. Keep us posted.

Google "prazi" and decide for yourself. Personally not being 100 percent sure as I can not see the fish in person,I'd buy prazi and dose tomorrow.
Don't freak out. Just fyi.

dustintx

I just don't want you to get your hopes up too much and then you stop searching for answers.
It's treatable and wont hurt the fish either way,so it would be worth it just to try. Just don't wait too much longer,because neither of us is 100% sure. I am just trying to help you find answers.

jussery17

Well thank you for responding and helping me out with the suggestions and everything! I freaked out when I first saw the white stringy thing but I believe it could have been a number of things! Bc I noticed that the reef frenzy food I bought just doesn't smell right! I mean the fish love it but I quit feeding it and use mysis PE and will buy some other food bc I have a feeling that stuff is either old or bad and def have a feeling it may be the contributing factor for the white stringy thing...watching him the past few days he has been right there swimming in the powerhead current with the other clown! Riding the current swimming all the way back and jumping right back in it over and over! No sign of any physical signs of sickness or odd behavior so just watching closely! It would be awesome, however, for these clowns to breed! It would be a great experience to get my hands wet in clown breeding! I was thinking of ordering some Rods Food! Have you used this before?

jussery17

They have so many different kinds, it's impressive! And says it's pretty clean food..what kind would you suggest being the best jay?

dustintx

Well thank you for responding and helping me out with the suggestions and everything! I freaked out when I first saw the white stringy thing but I believe it could have been a number of things! Bc I noticed that the reef frenzy food I bought just doesn't smell right! I mean the fish love it but I quit feeding it and use mysis PE and will buy some other food bc I have a feeling that stuff is either old or bad and def have a feeling it may be the contributing factor for the white stringy thing...watching him the past few days he has been right there swimming in the powerhead current with the other clown! Riding the current swimming all the way back and jumping right back in it over and over! No sign of any physical signs of sickness or odd behavior so just watching closely! It would be awesome, however, for these clowns to breed! It would be a great experience to get my hands wet in clown breeding! I was thinking of ordering some Rods Food! Have you used this before?
Your welcome.

jussery17

When jay responds it's always either one or two words, at most one short sentence, haha....short and to the point