Naso tang problems

Peterbuff

I just got a naso tang three days ago and I acclimated him for an hour straight and for the past two days he has been a little hesitant on eating but still ate. I fed him Brine with spiralina to entice him now today it's been three days and he is now facing the surface of the water breathing heavily. He is in quarantine and the first thing I checked was ammonia. Was reading really high so I did to water changes and now it's at a tolerable level of .25 to .5 I also put an air stone to oxygenate the water but he still seems to be at the surface breathing heavily. I also could have sworn I saw one little ick spot but I shouldn't be this much of a problem, I just started adding cupramine today and my salinity is a 1.026. Anyone have any more suggestions that I could do I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

jay0705

Keep doing water changes, you need zero ammonia. This will throw off your copper so test it daily. As far as food try live macro algae

Peterbuff

Keep doing water changes, you need zero ammonia. This will throw off your copper so test it daily. As far as food try live macro algae
I did three water changes and got the ammonia down to zero but he still not eating and is breathing heavily at the bottom of the tank is it time to do a freshwater dip or should I still wait? Still don't see any white spots or any signs of marine velvet. Is there anything else I can dose with Cupramine because it could be a bacterial infection

jay0705

No dips!!!!! They do no good. Honesty just give it time. Increase flow with a power head, aim it so it disrupts the surface of the water. As far as feeding macro is your best bet. Naso's are not a great tang for most people. They just get too big and need lots of room. That said, i do have one and while in qt live macro was the first thing he would eat. Now 2 yrs later anything not nailed down is eaten

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is tolerable level of ammonia for marine animals. Did the QT have ammonia prior to placing him in there?

Peterbuff

There is tolerable level of ammonia for marine animals. Did the QT have ammonia prior to placing him in there?
No I checked well now I know he has ick and or flukes because he was swimming in circles and then now he's on the floor on his side breathing heavily, unfortunately all I have is cupramine and I can't go and get PP or melafix or somthing because everyone's closed so I have to pray he's still alive by tomorrow.

Peterbuff

He was also twitching and I did two 6 min Fresh dips which actually seemed to help for a little but he's still on his side

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I should have said marine animals do not tolerate any level of ammonia. He may have parasites but what you describe is not an indication of ich nor flukes. It is an indication of ammonia toxicity. Have you seen parasites on the fish? What is the size of the QT and the size of this? What filters are you running in there?