Why I love this hobby

geridoc

This is a picture of some kind of worm that appeared in the corner overflow of my 220 gallon tank about two weeks ago. There are now lots of them (you can see a second one in the background) and they are about 1/2-3/4 inches long. The tank has been in operation for at least 10 years, and there have been no new additions for at least a year and a half, yet here is a new organism that must have been biding its time before making an appearance. There are none at all in the display area, only in the overflow. Just curious, does anyone know what these are?

2quills

Polychaete are such a diverse class of annalid worms its hard to say. The fact that they secrete their own tube would most likely put them in the serpulidae family much like most of the feather duster worms as we commonly refere to them.

Pretty cool. I'm guessing there is a predator in the tank that eats them.

geridoc

Polychaete are such a diverse class of annalid worms its hard to say. The fact that they secrete their own tube would most likely put them in the serpulidae family much like most of the feather duster worms as we commonly refere to them.

Pretty cool. I'm guessing there is a predator in the tank that eats them.
I think you are right about somebody in the display eating them - a few of the inhabitants look are looking particularly happy these days;)