A Little Confused! Please Help

Cheech

Hey

I’m very new to the hobby, and I’m starting to set up my tank. I have a few questions that maybe I could get some help with:

1. I have an Eshopps WD-100CS. Do I need a submersible pump in there? If so, any recommendations? (I’m kinda on a budget)

2. Do I need to add water to the wet/dry or will the water from the tank be enough?

3. I don’t have my rock yet, but am getting it soon. I’ve already filled my tank. Can I add it later and will anything negative happen with doing that?

4. I have a tentative stocking list. Let me know if I’m going in the right direction, and also any suggestions are appreciated
• 2 True Percula Clowfish
• 2 Black and White Clownfish
• 1 Spot Foxface
• 1 Blue Tang
• 1-2 Yellow Tangs
• 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang
• 1 Flame Angel
• 1 Emperor Angel
• Some Gobys or sand sifting fish
• Cleaner Shrimp/Crabs/Snails

Thanks!!

lmforbis

1. You will need a return pump. Wet dry filters are not really recommended any more. You can probably turn it into a kind of sump though.

2. Yes you will need water

3. Normally you add rock first then sand then water. Rock first because you want it stable on the bottom the sand then adds to that stability. Water is last. Adding rock last means it won’t be as secure. Som fish and inverts move the sand and will cause rock to topple possibly breaking the tank and injuring the life.

4. Need more info on the tank. Size, reef or fish only etc.

Cheech

1. You will need a return pump. Wet dry filters are not really recommended any more. You can probably turn it into a kind of sump though.

2. Yes you will need water

3. Normally you add rock first then sand then water. Rock first because you want it stable on the bottom the sand then adds to that stability. Water is last. Adding rock last means it won’t be as secure. Som fish and inverts move the sand and will cause rock to topple possibly breaking the tank and injuring the life.

4. Need more info on the tank. Size, reef or fish only etc.

My tank is 75 gallons. I jumped the gun already with the water so I’ll just have to work the rock placement out when I get it. I’m doing a FOWLR, no corals

lmforbis

In a 75 you are technically dealing with a small tank. Many of the fish on your list are not compatible with each other or a small tank.

You can have two clowns from the same species. Color variety doesn’t matter but species does. Not a perc and an oscelaris or a maroon, just one species. Oscelaris are the easiest and there are hundreds of color morphs.
One tang, either the yellow or kole not both and only one yellow. Unless the tank is huge they won’t tolerate each other.
Flame angel yes but no other dwarf angels.
Emperor angel no (you need at least a 220 for the emperor or the blue tang)
Gobies and sand sifters are great but do better in a more established tank, especially the sand sifters. A yellow shrimp goby would probably do fine you just need to make sure it gets enough food.
I’d Nix the Fox face as well they are great community fish but a 75 is a bit small as they get big.
Stick with small, hardy reef species like the royal gramma, orchid dotty back, cardinal fish.
NO Mandarins

You always need to consider adult size in making your choices. Always stock based on adult size and for the tank you have, not the one you want.

NExt subject is Quarantine.
It is essential to a healthy tank. One fish at a tine (except the pair of clowns) in QT for 30 days. Longer if it needs treatment. When that fish is done with QT you can get the next and QT it for 30 days, and on and on. A QT set up can be a simple 10 gallon tank with a heater and a sponge filter powered by an air pump and some PVC pipe joints fore hiding places. It needs to be bare bottom. This will allow you to treat the fish for any issues they have and make sure they are eating well.

Cheech

In a 75 you are technically dealing with a small tank. Many of the fish on your list are not compatible with each other or a small tank.

You can have two clowns from the same species. Color variety doesn’t matter but species does. Not a perc and an oscelaris or a maroon, just one species. Oscelaris are the easiest and there are hundreds of color morphs.
One tang, either the yellow or kole not both and only one yellow. Unless the tank is huge they won’t tolerate each other.
Flame angel yes but no other dwarf angels.
Emperor angel no (you need at least a 220 for the emperor or the blue tang)
Gobies and sand sifters are great but do better in a more established tank, especially the sand sifters. A yellow shrimp goby would probably do fine you just need to make sure it gets enough food.
I’d Nix the Fox face as well they are great community fish but a 75 is a bit small as they get big.
Stick with small, hardy reef species like the royal gramma, orchid dotty back, cardinal fish.
NO Mandarins

You always need to consider adult size in making your choices. Always stock based on adult size and for the tank you have, not the one you want.

NExt subject is Quarantine.
It is essential to a healthy tank. One fish at a tine (except the pair of clowns) in QT for 30 days. Longer if it needs treatment. When that fish is done with QT you can get the next and QT it for 30 days, and on and on. A QT set up can be a simple 10 gallon tank with a heater and a sponge filter powered by an air pump and some PVC pipe joints fore hiding places. It needs to be bare bottom. This will allow you to treat the fish for any issues they have and make sure they are eating well.
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I’m aiming for the largest color range and compatibility as possible for my tank. Hopefully at least two larger fish and maybe one school, possibly some green chromis. What about that? Also, I don’t have space for a QT. Any suggestions on that?

lmforbis

Make space for QT. It will save you a huge amount of grief. Once a parasite getts in your tank you will have to remove every single fish and treat them and leave the display tank fishless for around 10 weeks to eradicate it. You will get parasitic diseases. The wholesalers are infested and they are where everybody (online and stores) get their fish. A 10 gallon on the kitchen counter or a dresser is all you need. Find a place for a QT.

You can’t have large fish in a 75. Yellow tang would be as big as you can do. Nothing will school in a 75. Green or blue chromis will kill each other until only one is left. It is a fallacy that they school. Best they do is shoal but not in a small tank. There they just fight.

lmforbis

Realistically you can only have 7 or 8 small fish in a 75. In my 120 I only have 8 small fish. One of them will get bigger but most are tiny reef fish.