Recent content by bang guy

1. bang guy

Macroalgae ID

My preference is the compost heap. It's outstanding fertilizer for tomatoes.
  2. bang guy

Macroalgae ID

fCouple notes from my experience. Trim out the older stems, not the new growth. Trimming the new growth causes it to halt growth for a couple days and it is the growth of the algae that consumes the Phosphates and Nitrogen. This also reduces the risk of sporulation. If you see the stems of...
  3. bang guy

Sugar dose post cycle

Do you have anything in the tank for bacteria to colonize on?
  4. bang guy

So. Who are you voting for?

I'm going to write in Beaslbob.
  5. bang guy

possible green fish choices

These guys could not be easier to care for. They mostly just sit around but they do have some good personality.
  6. bang guy

Macroalgae ID

I adamantly do not agree with this. The reason is that denitrifying bacteria and nitrifying bacteria are pretty much opposite in preferred real estate. Nitrifying bacteria require highly oxygenated areas and denitrifying bacteria require lowly oxygenated areas. I will agree that if a...
  7. bang guy

Sugar dose post cycle

Still Ghost feed. I would also suggest either getting a new Nitrite test or just stop testing it and ignore it. I do not believe you are getting accurate results with your Nitrite test and that is worse than not testing it at all. (Not true for other parameters...)
  8. bang guy

Macroalgae ID

First one is Caulerpa serrulata.
  9. bang guy

What is this???? Shrimp baby hitchhiker???

Common Gammarid Amphipod. Good fish food.
  10. bang guy

Inverts and Corals Keep dying...... Any Ideas???

Limewater doesn't contain any Magnesium, it must be some other additive, or perhaps a bad batch of salt. I question how Alkalinity could stay normal with Calcium so high but I suppose it's possible with such a high Mg level.
  11. bang guy

new need info

Half of those fish will typically eat the other more docile fish. Per haps with a huge tank and a lot of hiding spaces. What size is the tank?
  12. bang guy

Sugar dose post cycle

The idea behind sugar dosing (or more commonly Vodka dosing) is to grow lots of aerobic bacteria that consume Phosphates and then die for the skimmer to remove. I'm not convinced it's effective for Nitrates but like 2qiills, I could be wrong.
  13. bang guy

Ghost feeding

Given those two options I would choose Mysis.
  14. bang guy

Starting a macroalgae refugium

+1 on what Joe said. I strongly recommend trimming out at least 1/3 of the older growth every week. Even if it isn't growing trim out a third of it.
  15. bang guy

Shipping stuff

Same except they require overnight shipping and better temp control.