1. cheeseballhaggis

Beginner with an established tank

Yay! It works again! Thanks!
  2. cheeseballhaggis

Do I just leave it there?
  3. cheeseballhaggis

The UGF is broken now. Part of the tube broke, so I took out the pump to find something else to fit, but when I put it back in, the pump was dead. I looked up at the underside of the tank for the first time, and while I'm not sure how it's supposed to look, it seems kind of gross to me. Also in...
  4. cheeseballhaggis

By external filter, do you mean something like the AquaClear filter I have? The water doesn't look dirty at all; it's just the nitrate level that makes me think it must be dirty. It was super gross and cloudy when I took out that old substrate. I used a fine mesh net to take out a large amount...
  5. cheeseballhaggis

I had already taken out all of the old substrate and put in fresh stuff before I originally posted. (That old stuff was seriously nasty.) I figured that by not cleaning much else (just the glass) I would keep enough bacteria in the tank. Maybe I just lucked out, or maybe these fish just refuse...
  6. cheeseballhaggis

I bought a house 8 months ago, and out of what the previous owners left behind, the saltwater fish tank is the most complicated to deal with. (The bed was a weird thing to leave behind, too.) I'm essentially a beginner, though I have learned a lot about basic things I need to do. Anyway...