Recent content by dischirm

1. dischirm

Nitrites during cycle?

If you know anyone nearby, or at your LFS, maybe they can give you some used filter material. That really kickstarts the Nitrite cycle.
  2. dischirm

Moray Fans!

I am not sure what you are asking, but I had a Fim-Yellow headed and it ate everything in my tank. I had a goldentail and it ate nothing except what I fed it. I have heard Tess's, Fim's and green morays will eat all tankmates.
  3. dischirm

Introducing Fish

slack - Beautiful dog. I own two myself. Hope you treat that dog better than you treat your fish!
  4. dischirm

Copepods

Horsemen, Where in Calif are you?? I might be able to help you
  5. dischirm

Isopod?

You can ship me some!!!
  6. dischirm

tang question

for a 55. sure, something like a coral beauty or a flame angel. very colorful, very active and good for that size tank!
  7. dischirm

Snail ID please

They definately are NOT pyramid snails, and I agree, they look like baby turbo's. Congratulations, you are a grandparent!
  8. dischirm

whcih do you think i should get-

None of the above and certainly not both. Your tank is too small
  9. dischirm

Updated Pics of my newest fish. Black Tang Goldentail Moray

Gee, after that last post about the angler type fish (that is not in your aquarium!), frankly I dont know if I should believe if these are in your aquarium either. Remember the boy that cried wolf!
  10. dischirm

mantis shrimp

A clown trigger just may eat the mantis and the clown/damsel just may get eaten by the mantis. I (personally) would put a few damsels in there just for looks and for the mantis to have someething to hunt. They are interesting, just not in your display tank.
  11. dischirm

Can anyone identify? (Pics included)

I think the first one is a trunicate. Simple filter feeder, will not hurt a thing.
  12. dischirm

red algae

how big is that tank. I think you want 15 to 20x the Gallons. (and no, its not enough, I have a 100 gallon with 4 maxijet 1200, a mag 3 and a rio 1500 in it) You really want the water moving. Think of the tides, the ocean is always on the move, sometimes violently!
  13. dischirm

red algae

I would just get a couple Maxijet 1200's (they are relatively inexpensive) and add those to your tank. I agree there is not enough flow in there at all!
  14. dischirm

MAJOR aptasia issue

I personally wouldnt take the risk. I had a seahorse tank with aptasia outbreak that I got from an order of Macroalgae and fought it and fought it and fought it and it was no fun. I would remove the rock and the sand and thoroughly wash the glass so none of those little buggers had a chance to...
  15. dischirm

red algae

You can try washing it off, but that will be temporary and will kill the bacteria on the rock that you do want. Cyano is a symptom of a problem, it is not the problem itself