Recent content by john rambo

1. john rambo

Light Upgrade/Scrubber?

Hello everyone, I've had a 65 gallon aquarium and over the past year I've really noticed my corals taking a turn for the worse. At first, I thought it was something with my water quality. My nitrates are always low though and I haven't done anything differently. The corals were in a 46 gallon...
  2. john rambo

Cotton Growth on Clown (Pictures)

Hi All, My Clownfish of 5 years has some cotton growth below his lower lip. I first noticed it yesterday. He's been mated with another clown for years. They are both in an established 65 gallon aquarium. All tank parameters are fine, so I won't waste your time. To be honest, I haven't had to...
  3. john rambo

My Framed in Wall 65 Gallon

Thanks, Beth! I definitely get a little silly in my videos. It was quite the process.. fortunately my father was able to assist. I learned quite a bit from him and feel ready to tackle a larger build down the road!
  4. john rambo

Sweet! I do enjoy it (wish I had a little more space though). I love how the tank itself is taller, allowing for better viewing angles. I also built the stand it sits on higher. I was originally concerned the tank being taller would make light penetration challenging for the lower sitting...
  5. john rambo

Getting back with a 75gal

Sounds like you have some solid knowledge and are taking all precautions. Best of luck with the 75. I recently bumped from a 46 to 65 and had similar cycling results. I think a little cured rock, old filter pads, and old tank water go a long way to boosting a tanks cycling process.
  6. john rambo

Not new, but getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence

Looks nice. I like how clean and concealed everything looks in the display portion. The container housing the equipment would have me a little nervous, but after seeing in person I'm guessing the plastic would be thick enough. I currently have a 65 gallon aquarium and have enjoyed it. I really...
  7. john rambo

Hammer coral looks weak

Lighting? Flow rate? In my experience, hammers generally do best with a low flow rate. This allows them to really 'open' up. That little bunch may just still be exactly that, little and not yet ready to blow up. I position my hammers in the middle of my aquarium and use 1 single current usa LED...
  8. john rambo

New Hobbyist - Nitrate Question

Agree with the nitrate comment. I used to run a 125 FOWLR and my nitrates hovered in the 80-120 PPM and my fish never showed signs of stress. Would I like them lower? Sure, but I had a very large S&S Puffer that made it a challenge. I'm also on board with algae scrubbers - they can definitely...
  9. john rambo

New to Saltwater and in middle of new build. Please help!

Welcome, and best of luck. I second the brace being a sign of the original plastic brace being damaged. The plastic braces can become brittle over time, but definitely necessary, IMO. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a tank that size not having a center brace. I rigged a similar brace when one...
  10. john rambo

Thanks, Mr. Limpid. I have some left over paint, so I'll hit the spots that are still exposed below. Luckily I painted all the wood the tank itself is in direct contact with already. I finally got around to editing a video of the build from start to finish. I hope you all enjoy it!
  11. john rambo

Finishing my 65G Stocking?

Thank you both for your input. Years ago I had a huge stars and stripes which I donated to a local aquarium. He was my favorite fish of all time. I'll give it some more thought. Currently, all 5 fish get along fine. I actually had a coral beauty for several years that passed away unexpectedly...
  12. john rambo

Finishing my 65G Stocking?

Hey all, Just wanted to share a build I wrapped up on several weeks ago. I'll try to get better photos and a video in this thread at some point. Framing an aquarium in a wall has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember. The tank is a 65 gallon Aqueon. Very basic set up, but has been...
  13. john rambo

Hey all, *Update* I finally got around to editing a video from start to finish. I hope you all enjoy it! I'm definitely thrilled with how the tank is continuing to do great (been running since January). Just wanted to share a build I wrapped up on several weeks ago. I'll try to get better...
  14. john rambo

Black Insert Help for my 65?

I appreciate all the responses! When my build is finished I'll be sure to post a video on the forums.
  15. john rambo

Black Insert Help for my 65?

Hello all, I've recently purchased a non-drilled 65 gallon Aqueon aquarium. This setup will sound a bit odd, but essentially I'm looking to conceal my equipment without using a sump. I currently have a 46 gallon bow front with a canister filter. I've ran it for 3 years with zero issues - all...