Recent content by kirshman

1. kirshman

freezing selcon

I'm getting ready to make a batch of my own fish food. Have some clams, shrimp, crab, etc. Gonna add some seaweed to it as well. I was wondering if I can add the selcon before I freeze it; it would obviously be much more convenient to add all at once and freeze then have to add it every day...
  2. kirshman

White vs blue

I use blue for "morning/dusk" with both on in the middle for full "day"
  3. kirshman

That 1 fish!.

powder blue tang
  4. kirshman

My first Newbie mistake

When I had a cyano outbreak in my last tank I used a turkey baster to clean my sand bed and rock. It was slow, but it was precise. Only grabbed what I wanted and didn't make a huge mess.
  5. kirshman

How to get good level

The hardest thing about small tanks is maintaining consistent levels. How often are you topping off. Small changes in water volume are large percentages in a 10 gal tank. Are you using a Rodi for topping off and water changes?
  6. kirshman

Trying to get back into the hobby

There's several reasons I wouldn't just use tap. The first is even towns that don't regularly chlorine use it to clean their systems occasionally, and that's death to fish. The other reason I wouldn't is it usually has to much nutrients and other junk that's just gonna grow algae.
  7. kirshman

Adding a clown

I did this a couple times when I was running multiple tanks. I only bought ones that were in a tank with a group of clowns and always bought a smaller one. Worked 3 out of 4 times.
  8. kirshman

Marine peaceful tank

Very nice
  9. kirshman

dwarf angel or fairy wrasse in a 29

Title pretty much says it. I'm not planning to upgrade, so is there a dwarf angel or fairy wrasse that can live well for its lifetime in a 29. Mine will be a reef, primarily softies with maybe a few sps.
  10. kirshman

Whats your favorite fish?

How bout a gem tang. No risk at all in a $1500-$3500 tang :-)
  11. kirshman

Whats your favorite fish?

I love the powder blue tang. So pretty!
  12. kirshman

Sudden Ammonia spike need help

I'd think with ammonia and nitrite that high the first things to die would be the cuc, especially the star and the shrimp.
  13. kirshman

75 Gal with stand and canopy on carpet

Sorry about the hijack. So you just put it between tank and stand? Just the glass or the trim too? How thick?
  14. kirshman

75 Gal with stand and canopy on carpet

What's the styrofoam trick?
  15. kirshman

cooking rocks?

So this is something I'm unfamiliar with. I've seen some of the posts talking about cooking rocks so they don't leach phosphates. Is this a good idea with all base rock and live rock. If so, what does the process look like?