Recent content by kllyjansen

1. kllyjansen

Cycling a new 75 gallon

We have been really dragging out our setup process over the course of a few weeks. Water has been in the tank for three weeks, live sand two weeks, live rock one week. We are keeping an eye on our water levels and have noticed a spike and then decline (to 0) in ammonia after adding the rock...
  2. kllyjansen

Starting from scratch, looking for tips

Originally Posted by IbanEz This is not my tank although I wish it was. Oh that tank is beautiful! What are all the beautiful corals, etc in there? If I am going to dream, dream big! I love it... want it...
  3. kllyjansen

Thanks guys! This is awesome advice! We haven't purchased anything yet, so I'm making lists of stuff... give me a couple days and I'll be coming back with more questions. Any specific brand names or anything to aim for or avoid? I think the purchasing may begin soon... The boyfriend isn't a...
  4. kllyjansen

Hey guys! The boyfriend and I are finally! going to set up a large reef tank. We are starting to do research and are making a "dream" list of things we'd like to include. We of course realize that we are going to have to tailor our dreams to reality, but for this research period we are just...
  5. kllyjansen

Pistol shrimp and goby

I would like to get a pistol shrimp/goby pair and I was wondering if there were any guidelines to follow when selecting the pair. I have yet to see in my LFS an existing pair, so can they be purchased separately? Which types pair up? Are there any types to avoid? I'm not in a hurry to make a...
  6. kllyjansen

Lionfish?

I found this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US288%26sa%3DN It's a larval dwarf lionfish. Post pics :)
  7. kllyjansen

ID this coral please

I picked this piece up from the LFS about nine months ago. They called it a type of briareum, but I have never been able to find anything like it. It was really pretty when I bought it, but unfortunately it came with a nasty aptasia anemone growing right smack dab in the middle of it. My LFS...
  8. kllyjansen

Mantis Shrimp?

I have a nano with about 5 1/2 lbs live rock. The only things residing in the nano aside from a couple crabs and snails are a red scooter blenny and (until today) a royal gramma. As I mentioned, I found the royal gramma dead today... half eaten and in the rocks. I dug around and found about 8...
  9. kllyjansen

I have a sneaky predator

As of right now I am skeptical that it is a pistol shrimp so I'd like to keep this post going to find out if it is something I should worry about... the larger claw isn't nearly as prominant as I am seeing in all of the pictures and it has no pattern what-so-ever on it's body, it's just plain...
  10. kllyjansen

I have a sneaky predator

He is a very plain ugly thing, not at all colorful like a lot of the pics I'm seeing of pistol shrimp. It looks a lot like this thing: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...8/IMGP3705.jpg The thing is, he lives in a live rock and does not burrow in so far as I can tell. I also have never...
  11. kllyjansen

I have a sneaky predator

Hey guys: I have a small 5 gallon aquarium with 5+lbs of live rock, a few corals, a single hermit and two snails. I USED to have a little goby and a peppermint shrimp. A month or so ago my goby mysteriously died and I had to move some of the rock around to pull it out... it was pretty wedged in...
  12. kllyjansen

Can this kill my corals?

Hey guys, I started this thread on one of the other saltwaterfish.com forum. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/341330/can-this-kill-my-corals Thanks Kelly
  13. kllyjansen

Can this kill my corals?

Hey guys, I have a little five gallon aquarium with 5+ lbs of live rock, a few pieces of coral, a hermit, two turbo snails, and a peppermint shrimp. This is my first saltwater aquarium so I am learning all kinds of new things. Anyways, I have a plant or algae that sprouted from one of my live...
  14. kllyjansen

What are these things? They creep me out!

Better pic! I'm amazed it's been in there for four months without detection. It's a small tank and I have studied it daily.
  15. kllyjansen

What are these things? They creep me out!

I have had my little 5 gallon set up for about four months now and I'm surprised at the amount and size of the creatures coming out of the live rock at feeding time today. First: A little brown lobster thing about one inch long shot out of the live rock today, grabbed some of the brine, and...