Recent content by nbrown82

1. nbrown82

Chalice coral I.D. help

Got an awesome "ice blue" chalice from the LFS. Frag had been there for months. Hand-written tag. Any ideas on the variety?
  2. nbrown82

Third bloom in 2 months

RODI water is 0 TDS for sure. Picked up Brightwell Bio Fuel bioavailable carbonate additive. Basically same idea as vodka dosing w/o the sugar and alcohol. My original LFS guy who did his undergrad in marine biology / chem and has been in the biz for 30+ years has me back on track w/dosing...
  3. nbrown82

Third bloom in 2 months

Thanks for the tip on the Becket style skimmer. To answer a few questions: I use RODI water (0 TDS checked with inline meter) for everything. Even rinsing stuff I use in the tank. Pretty happy with my "The Filter Guys" 5-stage RODI unit. Backup socks on order. Clean my current one everyday with...
  4. nbrown82

Third bloom in 2 months

Thanks everyone for the replies. Salifert test kits are in the mail. I'm done relying on the LFS guy for "things look good" instead of exact numbers. Any recommendations on a good refractometer for salinity? I change the filter pad every 2 weeks and it's cleaned twice a week. Water changes once...
  5. nbrown82

Third bloom in 2 months

consolidated to first post
  6. nbrown82

Third bloom in 2 months

consolidated to first post
  7. nbrown82

Third bloom in 2 months

So, it's safe to say my phosphates must be thru the roof if this is my third algae/bacteria bloom. Here's where I need help. Please identify if you can, what I'm seeing. It's nasty, brown, snotty, full of bubbles and long strings. Reading around a bit, I think it may be dinoflagellates. If so...
  8. nbrown82

Fragging Torch Coral

Picked up a beautiful green torch coral frag (my favorite). Superglued it to live rock (first time securing a frag). I left much of the old skeletal structure attached as I don't know how to trim down this frag. Will this guy spread out okay or do I need to cut it down and reattach it? If I do...