Recent content by novahobbies

1. novahobbies

silverado61. Rebuilding my 72g bow front and stand.

Oh and nice job on the DIY scrubber.
  2. novahobbies

It was a family biz, the taxidermy, IIRC. And as with many people working in the fam....it had its drawbacks. Last I heard was about a year ago also, but then again I'm not often on these boards anymore, either. Speaking of which, where's Flower?
  3. novahobbies

Did my serpent star eat my fairy wrasse?

All serpent stars are opportunistic carnivores, but it's true that red serpent stars are usually less of a threat to fish than green demons. That said, if yours is as big as you say, I wouldn't be surprised if it snuck up on the fish overnight. Was the wrasse acting sick in any way, was it...
  4. novahobbies

Having trouble growing cheto

How new is the tank? Chaeto needs nutrients to grow; in a nutrient poor aquarium those ingredients may be hard for the plant to absorb. Do you have current readings for your phosphate or nitrate? What about the rest of your system - are you using a protein skimmer or phosban reactor...
  5. novahobbies

Montipora colour changing

Yeah, that's poor advice. First of all, it depends on your lighting scheme. What are you using for your tank lights? Montis as a rule do NOT like high light, they do best in mid-level lighting conditions. When they get pale like that it's usually a sign that something about their...
  6. novahobbies

Jester's upgraded 90 gallon tank

tank looks good though. Personally I'd do a light blue background if you don't like darker, but hey...it's your tank!
  7. novahobbies

I just picked up a 50W LED grow light, hopefully it will improve chaeto growth as well
  8. novahobbies

My Framed in Wall 65 Gallon

Looks very nice! I just set up a 65 in my new house; it's a GREAT tank size, isn't it?
  9. novahobbies

Congrats on the closing! Can't wait to see pics of the tank and wall unit in the final resting place
  10. novahobbies

Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

As they say....all good things must come to an end. A little bittersweet, but time to move on. Time to hit up Craigslist!
  11. novahobbies

Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

Updating because we're coming to a big close here. It's been almost 6 years since this tank's been up and running in this house. But it's time to come down. Next weekend, we're tearing it down.
  12. novahobbies

great lights!
  13. novahobbies

looks nice. I'm guessing people don't scroll down this far very often anymore, do they. :-)
  14. novahobbies

How to best use my too-small sump (my stand is too small)?

I know a woman who had her sump system set up outside in an enclosed shed, but she was from central Cali and the weather was a little more moderate. Outside sumps can be done but they require a lot of planning. I would if I could, but my south florida sunshine would boil the tank. :-)