Recent content by saltn00b

1. saltn00b

Lavender Mushroom (Rhodactis sp.)

Yes they will work well for a starter coral, very easy, basically you don't need to do anything except keep the water quality good, provide adequate lighting and keep the alkalinity at ideal levels.
  2. saltn00b

Lighting For Reef?

If i am not mistaken that K rating is good for growth, but color of the tank and the corals will look to reddish brown.
  3. saltn00b

Lavender Mushroom (Rhodactis sp.)

i have had other rhodactis shrooms before and they are a great addtion to a a softy tank. they can get pretty big, grow rapidly and eat food they may catch, making them grow / reproduce more. easy to care for as well.
  4. saltn00b

Cleaning Acrylic tanks

My reef tank is acrylic, 3/4" thick and it has always been a bit of a battle to keep up with cleaning the panels. I tend to care for more tanks with much more enthusiasm when the viewing panels are clean and free of algae, and they always just look so much better. Problem with acrylic is that...
  5. saltn00b

Hello all I am new to your forum and need help Identifying something

you can usually get these off by gently rolling them loose back and forth.
  6. saltn00b

ID please - mantis?

thanks for the guesses / insight. i kept the molt but it disintegrated when i last went to look at it and take better pics. what is an example of a spearer species name / picture?
  7. saltn00b

ID please - mantis?

no love here? no other guesses?
  8. saltn00b

ID please - mantis?

It is possible that i have found the reason why i cannot keep shrimp or emeralds any more, and possibly why a 4 year old healthy GSM clown disappeared recently as well. looking in my tank last night i saw a molt. first molt i have seen in over a year. This was especially surprising to me...
  9. saltn00b

UV Sterilizer?

I have not used a UV in years. i don't see the point really. The tang police will be out to get you on keeping a tang, no matter the size in a 30g tank. And i support them! it is a common rookie mistake, but the fish will stress out and die, possibly taking others out with it. you made a...
  10. saltn00b

AK's 240gal build thread....

nice project you got going there! can you do a detail of the sump / fuge and what is what is going on there.
  11. saltn00b

which lights grow corals fastest?

if you go T5, you can get a variety of bulbs, for both color AND growth, run a cooler tank and a cheaper elec bill.
  12. saltn00b

Is this ick or something else can anyone tell?

i dont think that those black spots are black ick. Black is usually very tiny individual spots, not massive lesions. Unless , and i cant clearly tell, those large spots were really a bunch of accumulated small spots. But even so, i did not see black ick "group" like that when i witnessed it...
  13. saltn00b

Blue tang bahvaior

i feel like this guy is not shy at all. in fact the opposite. He does not show fear of the other fish in the tank, he swims close to them, and he comes out of the coral when I get close to the tank like he is excited for some food. it just seems like he gets tired. he will swim for a minute...
  14. saltn00b

Blue tang bahvaior

I have been doing this hobby for a while, but just recently acquired my first tang. a juvenile hippo tang about 2" long. one month quarantine with Hypo (he had ick) and 2 weeks in the tank or so. He seems to get tired. he will swim for a few minutes, and then go back to the birds nest he...
  15. saltn00b

FLATWORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

homemade syphon + salifert flatworm exit FTW.