I'm such an Idiot

dangerfish

So I finally got water in my tank so I turn everything on, but I forgot to put my new heater in the water, luckily I saw the smoke before it can really do any real damage but it did burn some plastic from the cords, none of them burnt all the way through but I still put electrical tape on them still and then I lifted them off the ground to be triple safe no water will touch them. But I still ruined my heater because I got plastic on it. I still ended up cleaning all the plastic off of it with really hot water and I used electrical tape on the parts that were kinda melted but im pretty sure I still can't use it because of the electrical tape isn't water proof and because of the plastic that was on it so what are some good heaters I should get since im pretty sure I can't use it. (My family has the worst luck)

Jake4232

I did this when i was new and had the awesome idea to put it into the water to cool it off. Of course it shattered. Luckily there was nothing live in the tank at the time to get electrocuted. We all have brain farts. Dont beat yourself up.

florida joe

Just a word on heaters. They can kill. Not only everything in your tank but ALSO you if you put your hand in the water with a shattered heater glass

CharlieMBTA

I've always had great luck with the aqueon pro submersible heaters. Depending on the size of the tank, you can pick the size and are fully adjustable for temperature. In the future if you need to raise or lower the temp from 78 degrees you can, and have never failed in reliability. Haven't lost one yet, in two freshwater tanks and one saltwater fowlr. Haven't tried cobalt aquatics though.