iidylii 93 gallon cube

jay0705

Lol I do recommend them. It's all the stuff you like about a lion minus the large size and eating all tank mates. Idk how it would do w shrimp tho. Getting them to eat frozen can be tricky at first tho. Once trained tho there very easy

lmforbis

The dwarf lions aren't going to eat small fish like clowns and dottybacks? I've been tempted several times but have been worried they'd eat my other fish. Divers dens had a couple really pretty ones in the last couple weeks.

jay0705

It hasnt touched the yellow tail damsel or maroon clown. They've all been together from day 1

iidylii

A full grown clown is considered a small fish? I realize it's no tang but I didn't think a lion would go after a 3-4" fish...90% of my fish in my tank will be 3" or less lol so like 15 of them...so I might be a little scared of doing that lol...but I suppose the rule is if it will fit in its mouth it could be supper for the lion

jay0705

Oh yea, they can eat 3" fish. Now certain dwarfs prefer crustaceans so fish maybe left alone. Most incidents w dwarfs are when there under fed.

jay0705

Saxman was the lion fish expert when I started on this forum lol where r u now???
The 3 most common are fuzzy dwarf,zebra, and fu man chu. Mine is a zebra20160214_161346.jpg

jay0705

You can see the damsel in the back ground lol. I believe the zebra is one that prefers crustaceans. Mine it's frozen prawn mainly with frozen krill mixed in

iidylii

not that im considering getting a dwarf lion right away...but if in fact I do in the future how tough would it be to care for one being that the closest pet store to me is an hour and a half away? im talking mainly providing food for one...

jay0705

Initial feeding can be tricky. Generally it's live ghost shrimp. Then dead ghost shrimp, on to there normal frozen foods. Prawn,krill,jumbo mysis,ect. Once eating frozen there very easy to feed.

jay0705

Depends on tank mates. Mine sits at the top of the tank when the lights go on bc it knows food is coming lol.
Now when it was in qt w my one tang I had to target feed around the tang bc it would eat all the food even getting in my option way too close to the Lions spines.
Lions also shouldn't be fed daily, 3-4 times a week is plenty.

jay0705

They do come very small generally. Mine was maybe 1.5" when I got it. I do like them tho, unless u keep really small fish like clown gobys,Hectors gobys, possibly fire fish I would think it's worth a try

iidylii

Yeah that's probably out of the question for me...court jester, pj card, bangaii, fire fish, gramma, red scooter, brown scooter lol the lion would grow up quickly though