Sugar dose post cycle

florida joe

Exactly what diversity are you talking about... the potential for introducing hitchhikers with the live rock that can be detrimental to you tank. Did you know that people are turning to phytoplankton along with L-Carnosine as an alternative to chemo ?

2quills

Exactly what diversity are you talking about... the potential for introducing hitchhikers with the live rock that can be detrimental to you tank. Did you know that people are turning to phytoplankton along with L-Carnosine as an alternative to chemo ?
Yep

I'm talking about other detritus eating organisms. Microsoft stars, worms etc.

From Mr. Farley.

Conclusion

While all sizes and types of detritus feeding organisms are necessary for optimal processing of extraneous debris and organic materials in our systems, only a very few of these animals are available directly from dealers. Most of the smaller ones, particularly, must come in a rather hit-or-miss manner from our additions of live rock and live sand. It is very important for the establishment of a deep sand bed, and the concurrent maintenance of a low dissolved nutrient level in our systems, that a varied fauna of these "micro-food" processors is established and maintained.

one-fish

I have Mr Farley's "Randy's Reef Chemistry Articles" on bookmark which I obtained from this site..Reading alot hope some sinks in, only two LPS who stock marine in my area and I live near a beach ...go figure. Thx all have been a big help...

florida joe

Yep

I'm talking about other detritus eating organisms. Microsoft stars, worms etc.

From Mr. Farley.

Conclusion

While all sizes and types of detritus feeding organisms are necessary for optimal processing of extraneous debris and organic materials in our systems, only a very few of these animals are available directly from dealers. Most of the smaller ones, particularly, must come in a rather hit-or-miss manner from our additions of live rock and live sand. It is very important for the establishment of a deep sand bed, and the concurrent maintenance of a low dissolved nutrient level in our systems, that a varied fauna of these "micro-food" processors is established and maintained.
While Mr. Farley admits that most of the smaller detritus feeding organisms enter our tanks in a “Hit-or –miss manner via live rock. Its seems logical that the hobbyist would want to definitely add a variety of copepods and what is generally considered among the most important additions of grazers and scavengers, Amphipods to their tank in a non-Hit or miss fashion.

2quills

While Mr. Farley admits that most of the smaller detritus feeding organisms enter our tanks in a “Hit-or –miss manner via live rock. Its seems logical that the hobbyist would want to definitely add a variety of copepods and what is generally considered among the most important additions of grazers and scavengers, Amphipods to their tank in a non-Hit or miss fashion.
Wouldn't hurt.

Pods are probably the one thing I've never had an issue with. They're so small they seem to hitch a ride on anything and everything.

When I got my chaeto they were a virtual nursery bed of them.

2quills

I have a scooter dragnet that eats them.

But one of the things I do to make sure there's always plenty in the tank is I swap a few pieces of rock from my sump with a few pieces in the display every couple of months or so.

There's such an abundance in the fuge I don't have to buy them. So far seems to be working and he's never appeared to be losing weight. But it's only been about 6 months so we'll so how it does long term.

florida joe

I have a Mandarin Dragonet as opposed to the scooters that will eat brine, bloodworms EST. He will only eat pods. I have had him for over 4 years so I have to make sure the pods are always readily available for him.

2quills

Understandable if it hasn't been trained to eat frozen.

I'm pretty sure mine is a wild caught specimen. I've never really seen him eat brine or mysis yet. Just pecks at the rocks and sand all day.

I did have a mandarine once before when I first started saltwater. He did slowly get thinner and thinner and wouldn't take frozen foods. I never fed pods and didn't have a refugium at the time so it makes sense. He only made it 6 months.

I wouldn't hesitate to try another one now though.

florida joe

I have a Mandarin Dragonet as opposed to the scooters that will eat brine, bloodworms EST. He will only eat pods. I have had him for over 4 years so I have to make sure the pods are always readily available for him. There was a time he eat blood worms also but he grew tired of them after six months
IMG_2806.JPG

Last edited:

florida joe

It seems he dislodges pods from the rock work and they get caught in the water current and windup on the glass

lmforbis

Mine climbs the wall like that. I don't add any pods to my tank. I just shake the chaeto every couple weeks and that sends a lot of them up into the tank. I can see the pods crawling on the glass so I have plenty. Currently my mandarin is taking a vacation in one of my overflows.

florida joe

Mine climbs the wall like that. I don't add any pods to my tank. I just shake the chaeto every couple weeks and that sends a lot of them up into the tank. I can see the pods crawling on the glass so I have plenty. Currently my mandarin is taking a vacation in one of my overflows.
LOL yes it seems they like that vacation spot