Adding fish

pfcbizz

Hello I want to ask advise on how much time should I talk in between the QT and adding fish into my DT so I don't overload it

jay0705

Alot depends on the size of the dt. Bigger tank can handle fish a bit faster. That said generally a couple fish a month to dt.

geridoc

With a 180 gallon system i would worry more about the sequence of adding fish more than the number. I recently was forced to add 12 fish to my 220 gallon tank (adopted them from a friend who was moving out of state), and I was panicked about the possibility of rising ammonia levels. Long story short...no detectable spike in ammonia or nitrite, and a slight rise in nitrate.

jay0705

Agreed on fish order. With geridoc situation it's a bit different bc all fish where added at one time. However when adding them in a normal sequence certain fish can get territorial and aggressive. Those fish are added last once less aggressive fish have established territory

geridoc

Agreed on fish order. With geridoc situation it's a bit different bc all fish where added at one time. However when adding them in a normal sequence certain fish can get territorial and aggressive. Those fish are added last once less aggressive fish have established territory
Yeah, the 12 adoptees were all peacefully adapted to their 300 gallon system before being moved to my tank. There was still aggression between a small adopted ocellaris clownfish and my very large ocellaris - the small one eventually disappeared. My main point was that the tank could accommodate 12 new fish at once without spiking nitrogen toxins.

lmforbis

If you quarantine 1 - 3 fish for 30 days, then add them to the tank. Once they are in the DT you can quarantine the next group of 1-3 for 30 days. If you keep on that way you are spacing each addition by 30 days. How many you QT at a time depends on how big your QT is. If you have a 10 gallon QT probably not more than 1 or maybe 2 max but if you have a 55 gallon QT you could do more like 4-5 fish at a time.