Pincushion Sea Urchins, fell and has lost all spines and seems like its dying. Help Please!

jtfishman

Hello, I have purchased two pincushion Sea Urchins just last week, acclimated them for 2 + hours, and put them in the tank, they did fine for the first few days, and now it appears as if the one was on the glass and fell off hitting the live rock and laid on the bottom of the tank with its mouth up. I noticed that there were a few spines that were broken off and laying beside him. I thought he was dead because the spines that were on him were just limp and laying down. I grabbed him then with the tweezers I have and flipped him over, he seemed to start moving all the spikes he has left some and his little tenticles started a little, so I left him be thinking he was going to be ok, and he just fell and broke a few spines. However, today when I came down to look at him, there is a pile of Spikes surrounding him in the tank and he has only a few left attached, almost bald. I took the tweezers again and moved him a little, and them watched him, his spikes that were left started moving around a little, and he moved on the bottom of the tank a hair. I am not sure what it going wrong with him, if he will come out of this or if I need to get him out of the tank asap to protect the other fish from his decaying if he is in fact dying. The other pincushion sea urchin that was put in the tank the same day is doing just fine, grazing on the rock work cleaning it great! What do i do with this sick/dying sea urchin? Also Do I need to remove all of the spikes that broke are laying on the bottom of the tank? Please give me some ideas of to whats going on and what to do. I just don't know, beings the other one is doing so great, and this one seems to have fallen and is dying.

deejeff442

sometimes critters just dont adapt to a tank and die. i had 2 of them they are usually hardy and grow fast. mine had 2 inch spines when i got them and in less than a year they were 8 inches .i dont know what size tank you have but keep this in mind. dont seem like yours is going to make it. sorry
its just part of the hobby.maybe try to spot feed him some raw food

silverado61

When Urchins lose their spines, it's usually a sign there's a problem with the water. What are your parameters? Most Urchins won't tolerate Nitrates over 10 and some are more sensitive than others. I try to keep mine at 5 or below. Whats your calcium level? Urchins can lose every one of there spines. If you get you parameters back to where they need to be, they'll grow back.

Try anchoring a small piece of algae sheet in the bottom of the tank (use a food clip or an empty shell if you have one) and setting him on top of it (target feeding). My Urchins go bonkers over it. You don't need tweezers for Pincushion Urchins. You can carefully pick him up with your hand. It won't prick you. The tips are too blunt. I've got a Pincushion and a Longspine Urchin (those can prick you and it hurts like a biotch).

These are my little buddies.

I feel for you. Good luck

Mgardner

please help me! mine appears to be dying! he is a purple pin cushion and is smaller than normal and looks burned? i noticed a few spines missing the other day. please help me help him idk what to do :'( tank 4+ mo had him for the last month an he has been really active until this week.