Salinity level fluctuating extremely in new tank. Any ideas?

Okay, firstly, I have had several tanks through out the years, but only a couple salt, and all larger. Its been at least 4 years since I last messed with one, but recently decided to setup a nano 8gallon for fun. I am patient, and going to take the steady rout to getting it cycled and ready as needed. No rush.

Last night I prepared the tank, added the sand, mixed the instant ocean salt up accordingly ( 1/2 cup per gallon ) used a clean gallon pitcher, once the tank was filled and settled I added the water clarifier that came with the sand and let it settle once more. I have checked the salinity directly after adding the water to the tank and it read 1.022, I checked it after the water clarifier and it read the same. Checked it once before bed and it dropped to 1.016 without anything further being done, tripple checked before adding more salt. Brought it back up to 1.022 and hit the hay. This morning it was right back at 1.016, and I am utterly confused. Any ideas, tricks, advice is MUCH appreciated. I will add more salt if suggested just wondering if I am testing it wrong, or if its normal to fluctuate like this while cycling out?

Bought the reader brand new, salt brand new, mixed correctly and tested right on 1.022. So confused right now.

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Very much agree with Imforbis.

Also, in order to get an accurate reading on salinity you really need to allow the mixing to occur under pump agitation for min 24 hrs, 48 is best.