why do my fish keep dying?

lmforbis

I'd stick to salt water test kits. It may not matter for some but as a chemist I wouldn't want to run it under conditions it hasn't been optimized for like pH.

valles

I'd stick to salt water test kits. It may not matter for some but as a chemist I wouldn't want to run it under conditions it hasn't been optimized for like pH.
I just got my water tested once more and once again all checked out the ph was at 8 I also just bought a test kit. What's next?

valles

Turns out the pet store I have been going to was lying to me all along my nitrites were way to high to have any fish in. I cleaned the sand and did a 25% water change.

one-fish

During the cycle period it is advisable to test water daily to follow your progression.What are your current water test results Do you still have livestock in the tank. Good on the 25% WC.

valles

During the cycle period it is advisable to test water daily to follow your progression.What are your current water test results Do you still have livestock in the tank. Good on the 25% WC.
I did The water change last night so I figured I'd test the water today. I'll let you know then?

valles

Ok so nitrate-0 ammonia-0 nitrite-.25 ph-7.8

lmforbis

Your tank is definitely still cycling. If you have no fish, feed as if you did to provide food for the bacteria. Once ammonia and nitrites fall to zero and stay there for a week or two you will be ready to start thinking about slowly adding fish. Be sure to research the fis to make sure they are compatible with your tank size and the other fish you want. Only add one at a time then wate a while till you add the next one.

lmforbis

I would also consider investing in a quarantine tank. A 10 gallon QT tank a couple pieces of PVC, a heater and a sponge filter along with a 30 day quarantine on all fish will help prevent diseases from getting into your tank and potentially wiping out hundreds of dollars in fish. This will allow you to treat anything that they come in with and it helps with impulse control (a problem I have) because you can't add a new fish to the QT until the last fish is out, forces you to move slowly and reduces frustration caused by common fish diseases.

one-fish

Agreed definitely still cycling and with the info. If I remember right you had a drop in ph before....after doing a 25% WC 7.8 is border line How are you getting water.. you buy it or you mix it

xuanle

The fish will create the waste. Dosing with ammonia is for fishless cycles because you have no other ammonia source.