Cleanup Crew on aisle 75gal

2quills

Isn't only a certain type of pep shrimp tho quills? A sub species?
Yeah the Wurdemanni, ones. The classic pep shrimp.

There's another species that look remarkably similar in color and markings often called camel back shrimp. But are sometimes miss represented and sold as peppermint shrimp. They are distinguishable by their hump shaped back/body.

Weatherboy

How do u feel about the matted file fish?
I did see this guy yesterday. Can't say he's the best looking guy. Don't hate me.

Good to know I don't need a lot of shrimp. I wonder about the LFS now. Only have one good one to go to.

I will look at liquids too.

jay0705

Lol i like them. There movements are intresting. Its why i got mine. It eating apatasia is just a bonus

one-fish

Was also looking at a couple file fish my LFS just got in, but still waiting for my red banded goby w/scarlet pistol shrimp. I am thinking on getting a coral beauty LFS has those regularly but wanted to wait till I had the goby all settled in...don't really think I have to wait but thats the order I planned on. The file fish did have an interesting/unusual swimming pattern may research them also have room for a couple more fish.

Weatherboy

Picked up two peppermints as they were only $7. We will see if they take a liking to Majano Anemone, but seems they may hammer aiptasia more. I will get some kalkwasser too. If shrimp don't help, it's cool. Just more creatures.

Next up, a pair of clownfish.

BTW, does the purple up stuff work? Should I add now or when my not so live rock look live in a few months?

one-fish

LR will seed just give it time. Best not to rush here this is going to .be your foundation of your biological filter capabilities Nature has worked this way for centuries

lmforbis

Purple up doesn't work. Coraline requires calcium, alkalinity and especially magnesium to be at correct levels. Magnesium gives it its color. It also needs some live rock with coraline, a snail with coraline on its shell, or something else like that to seed the system. If you don't have that you will never get it. You can buy two part, pretty cheap I use the BRS two part kit, it consists of additives for calcium, alk, and magnesium. You also would need test kits for all three. One rule is never add any supplements if you can't test for them. You can also use some thing like a razor blade to scrape the coraline you have on something else to help spread it around your tank. It can take a while for it to take hold, several months for me. It first tends to start on plastic, so power heads, filter returns, etc. Another factor is nitrates and phosphates. If they are too high it doesn't really grow and what you do get is green. I moved my system to a new tank in early March. My rocks have a decent amount of coraline but it is just now starting to show up on the new plastic, tiny little specs on my overflows.

one-fish

Thanks on the coraline info was wondering why some of the reds and purples have faded and new green is covering my overflows. Guess its time for a larger WC w/red sea pro. Still FOWLR and don't test for the remaining parm as reffers do figure every other WC w/red sea should cover my needs

Weatherboy

So...tank up and running for 5 plus weeks.
Looks okay. Nothing dead.

But, while I don't want it, shouldn't I be getting algae? I mean, I still don't have a cleanup crew as there is nothing to eat.
Seems it's only a matter of time before crabs and peppermint shrimp die. (Which I have not seen the shrimp since I bought them.).

So, just curious. When should I expect to see algae? Water test are fine. Tank light on 6-8 hours a day.

one-fish

5 weeks shouldn't be long now every tank is it's own individual. Took mine awhile to grow GHA and even longer to rid it You put fish in yet??

Weatherboy

Yes. 2 yellow belly damsels, 3 hermits and 2 peppermint(haven't seen in a week). Had fish for 3 weeks now.

May pick up a couple Chromis

Last edited:

Weatherboy

Picked up 2 clowns, 2 chromis today. Wish me well. They are not eating my flakes well, so I've got left over flakes all over the bottom of the tank.
I think some algae is growing on glass. CUC finally in my future.

iidylii

Yeah I feed flakes and pellets as kind of an extra and some fish like it some don't...mainly frozen though