macroalgae and pods next to skimmer?

scrapman

My 90 gal DT flows down to a 20 gal high in which I plan to cultivate microalgae and pods. My skimmer is in that tank..... are the pods going to be trashed by the skimmer??
Thal 20 gal high flows in a 20 gal long with the return pump to the DT.

beaslbob

yes not good for pods.

If you could get the skimmer to work in a separate chamber for the 20g sump that might work better.

But than I don't know. I don't use skimmers.

my .02

ps my wife does have a skimmer. LOL

2quills

I wouldn't say it's optimal to have the skimmer after the fuge in regards to pods. But I wouldn't necessarily say it's detrimental either. Its probably less detrimental to pod migration than the return pump is.

That being said they tend to migrate across surfaces more so than free swimming. I find pods living and migrating happily through my skimmer area. And at times i see them crawling around inside of the skimmer body itself.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't do it. You will always be swimming upstream with that set up. Better to put the skimmer into the return tank but the 20L is likely too short to accommodate the skimmer? Basic fish tanks are pretty cheap, so maybe something taller for the 2nd tank. If you don't already have a quarantine, 20Ls make excellent little quarantines.

2quills

Agreed. I'd be more concerned with macro clogging or jamming up the skimmer. You should have plenty of height to move it to the 20g long.

If I remember correctly from one of your other posts I think you said you have a section for live rock only?

I would used the tall tank as one big refugium with just a little rock and mostly macro. Then use the long tank for skimmer and return.

scrapman

Agreed. I'd be more concerned with macro clogging or jamming up the skimmer. You should have plenty of height to move it to the 20g long.

If I remember correctly from one of your other posts I think you said you have a section for live rock only?

I would used the tall tank as one big refugium with just a little rock and mostly macro. Then use the long tank for skimmer and return.

thanks for your input
Recap: my 90 DT flows in the 20 gal H (aragonite/dead coral scrap/eggcrate before Octo 150 skimmer)
the 20 gal H flow into the 20 gal L (deep sand bed/macro algae/eggcrate and filter before return pump)

the two 20 gal tanks are not hidden.... they are in plain view under the 90.
They must be clean and nice.
I plan to put some small fish in the 20 H.... and a couple of goby in the 20 L..
Any suggestion?
Thanks again