Help!!! Any advice or comments would be very helpful!

jussery17

Ok so I put the live rock in and sit up the tidal 110...I let it all run for about 30 minutes and tested the water and the rest is as follows...
pH- is about 7.9
Ammonia- .50
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- for some reason 10ppm

So the ammonia is already going up the nitrite I guess will and the nitrate is obviously going up...but these 3 will go up and all go down back to 0 when the tank is done cycling and ready for fish correct?

jussery17

Yeah me too! I dunno that's just what it tested....I'm sure it's right those API drip tests are supposed to be pretty accurate right?

2quills

Those tests are generally good enough to let you know what's happening. They aren't lab quality but they've been a staple in the hobby for a while. The ammonia is coming from the sand and rock.

Nitrate may never go down to zero but it isn't toxic. Ammonia is the important one to watch out for.

jussery17

Well damn those drip tests are the best thing I've seen other than all the dip and read crap and def not going back to doing those..jeez...I mean what's test do y'all have? Surely you don't send it off to a lab

jussery17

And what signs am I looking for in the tank to know it's cycling? Like algae growth on the live rocks? Or what?

lmforbis

i use Salinger test kits for most things.
Out side of the test results you will likely get a diatom bloom, this is a dark brownish algae they will cover everything. You may get cyanogen bacteria and maybe green hair algae.

jussery17

Ok well great thanks for all the info....a guy yesterday at the fish store said he has 3 big tanks at his house and after he mixes his water he gets the one and only bacteria in that bottle and put the whole bottle in and than he will put fish in right after so the fish themselves will do the whole ammonia process...buuuuuut I def want to take it slow being my first saltwater tank and not have fish that quick right?

jussery17

Also, we were told that a couple clownfish are the best fish to start with bc they are strong and we were going to do that but what would be the process in getting them transferred into my tank and we were going to get a dog face puffer too, when can we and how do we introduce him into the tank with the two clowns? And one more question, when should I get a cleanup crew and what is best to start with?

jay0705

Clowns excellent choice. The puffer NO! They get far too big and will eat smaller fish and your cuc. Look at a saddle or blue spot if you want a puffer. 2nd a qt tank is recommended. It will safe you trouble down the road.
3rd drip acclimating is the most fool proof way to acclimate fish to your tank

jussery17

Ok well that sucks bc the wife loves and really wants the dog face puffer that is at ***** in the tank with 2 clownfish and a tang...hmm ....so I was told not to use these ammonia drops I have but I also have dr tims one and only and I'm really confused on what to do right now about this...my ammonia is at .5, my ph is still at 7.9 and both nitrite and nitrate are at 0... in 24 hours my nitrate dropped from 10 to 0...so somebody please tell me what I need to do with the dr tims one and only and the ammonia drops bc I've just heard a lot of good things about the one and only bacteria stuff not to mention was $30

jay0705

Honestly the live rock will take care of all the stuff the bottle goodies will. If you want to add the tims u can. Its not needed tho. The best thing with sw is its completely self sustaining it just takes patience

jussery17

Well yeah I learned the patience part before even setting up but just not "real live rock" I was told on here, but the owner of the lfs told me they use this rock in all their tanks it has the beneficial bacteria sprayed on it...also told me that I would need the one and only before I add fish and to use the whole bottle

jay0705

Ah you got the purple rock ok. The bottle is bacteria. Bacteria you should already have on your live rock. If you have ammonia, bacteria will start to feed on it. Breaking it down into the cycle. If you want to add the bottle go ahead. Imo tho you don't need it. The tank needs ammonia to spike then nitrite and finally nitrate. After this your tank is ready to slowly add fish.

jussery17

Ok when I add the bottle of the one and only bacteria and the ammonia drops do I need to do anything with my tidal 110 filter as far as the media or the surface skimmer?