Gold Head Sleeper Goby vs Diamond Watchman Goby

Jesterrace

Okay, I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now and wanted some input. Here is the current situation with my fish tank. I have a 36 gallon bowfront and have the following fish in my tank:

1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Scissortail Dartfish
1 Purple Firefish
1 Green Mandarin Fish

After two aggressive fish additions and removals (A Flame Angel and a Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse), I have come to the conclusion that I need to change up my current stock if I want to add new additions to my tank. My Diamond Watchman Goby is part of the problem as he has established himself as the territorial top dog in my tank and challenges any new fish that gets anywhere near him (which probably has helped encourage aggression from the other fish). So I am considering removing him and replacing him with either another Diamond Watchman Goby or the Gold Head (aka Yellow Head) Sleeper Goby. Colorwise I like the Gold Head much better than the Diamond Watchman, I just am not sure on whether it would be worse for excessive sand sifting or dumping sand all over where I don't want it (ie the water column and corals). Obviously I do want a fish to be a Sand Aerator, since I really don't want to have to do that myself periodically, but at the same time I don't want an incessant cloud of sand in my tank (which I do get on occasion with the Diamond Watchman I currently have). I have 40lbs of live sand in my tank if that helps and I am okay considering a different more colorful goby that will do the job as well. On a secondary note, it will be a real challenge to catch him, but I think I also want to get rid of my Purple Firefish as well as his chicken livered nature seems to encourage new additions to bully him and he has taken to basically hiding under a rock and only coming out to eat and then hide again. To me a fish that perpetually hides is useless. To be fair to the guy he has been through quite a bit as being the first target of both the Flame Angel and the Fairy Wrasse. Ultimately though I plan on keeping the Mandarin and the Scissortail and then getting another more colorful sand sifter and then a McCosker's Wrasse.

Jesterrace

Hmm, after doing some more research I am not sure on the Yellow/Gold Head. Apparently it likes to grab sand and then dump it all over when sifting (instead of feeding mostly on the bottom like the Diamond Watchman). Anyways here is a list of alternatives I have come up with:

The Court Jester Goby (aka Rainsford Goby). This guy would be the most spectacular replacement bar none since it is a very active and colorful fish. The downside is that it also seems to sift sand while hanging several inches off the bottom (although probably not as much as the Gold Head) and it might create problems for my Mandarin by being another active pod eater)

http://www.***********.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+164&pcatid=164

The Orange Spot Goby. Basically a smaller version of the Diamond Watchman, although it seems a little more brightly colored

http://www.***********.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+195&pcatid=195

The Tiger Watchman Goby. Although not brightly colored per-se it definitely would stand out more than the Diamond Watchman. Although it appears it also sifts sand above the substrate, which could create problems beyond what my Diamond Watchman Goby does in terms of cloudiness

http://www.***********.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+224&pcatid=224

The Orange Marked Goby. I like this because this is basically a cross between a sand sifting goby and a clown goby and so I get both in one fish

http://www.***********.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+2107&pcatid=2107

The Decorated Goby. Very interesting color patterns on this one.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/gold-head-sleeper-goby-vs-diamond-watchman-goby.406943/

I am also debating between the McCoskers and Melanurus (Hoeven's) Wrasse and now the Red-Lined Wrasse. The McCosker size wise would be a little bit of a safer bet, but I have heard that McCoskers can be hit and miss with dying early. I like the colors on the Melanurus better, but I have concerns about him freaking out on my tank like the fairy wrasse did and I understand they can become a snail fiend, the Red-Lined seems to be a slightly smaller version of the Melanurus and might be the best compromise between the McCoskers and Melanurus. I don't mind losing some snails but I don't want to be buying them all the time either. Any thoughts on the wrasses as well?

Last edited:

jay0705

I have and have had the golden. There a fav fish of mine. Yes they dump sand ever where. Lol the hovans is a great peaceful wrasse however inverts ie shrimp can become dinner. If you can find one i like a xmas wrasse. Also most fairy wrasse would be fine

Jesterrace

I have and have had the golden. There a fav fish of mine. Yes they dump sand ever where. Lol the hovans is a great peaceful wrasse however inverts ie shrimp can become dinner. If you can find one i like a xmas wrasse. Also most fairy wrasse would be fine
I am avoiding fairy wrasse since I believe my 36 gallon tank is too small for them and given the fact that the Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse was a disaster in my tank. The XMas Wrasse is awesome but like the Hovans I think they are just a little too large for my tank (hence the reason I am looking at the Red Lined or McCoskers).

Last edited:

lmforbis

My Mckoskers has been great. I do have it in a much larger tank. Small quarters may lead to aggression.

Jesterrace

I know that was part of the problem with the Fairy Wrasse and the Flame Angel. I figure though that a Wrasse that doesn't get much bigger than 3-4 inches will do okay in a tank that is 30 inches wide and only has 3-4 other tank mates. In terms of tank size the Possum Wrasses and the Six Line are the two that would fit best, but I just find the possum coloration kind of dull (and they are a bit hard to find in stock) and the 6 Line would add a whole new dimension of aggressive terror that my tank has not seen from what I understand (too bad since it is a great looking fish).

Jesterrace

6 lines are 50 50 mine was never aggressive. Divers den always has possum wrasse tho.
I would give the 6 line a try if I stripped my tank down to the point where all I had was a Sand Sifter of some form, a Mandarin and the 6 line. Also what size of a tank did you have your six line in?

Jesterrace

56 column not a big tank by sw standards
Good to know, although a 6 line would be more likely to be territorial in my 36. I think I will hold off for now though as I am going back and forth too much on what I want and I have had absolutely 0 luck removing my Diamond Watchman Goby and the Purple Firefish and I AM NOT going to start shuffling and moving around rocks in my tank. I have had so many rock re-arrangements and scary rock shifts (from the powerhead) that it has taken me about 10 re-shifts just to get a config that is finally stable.