Auriga BF question....

jussery17

Quick question, my auriga bf has been and still is very healthy and eating but he has been just staying in this back right corner of the tank for the past few days.... has anyone ever experienced this with bf fish, bc I'm now just concerned on why he is staying back there?? Also, I just got home and found a blue leg hermit shell empty on the sand and than noticed his legs and everything were in the middle of the tank right behind or on a huge narssius snail of mine and looks like the snails long part that sticks out of the sand when they are under the sand is alot shorter.... is it possible the hermit tried to attack the snail and the snail won?? Also found an empty narssius snail shell and hermit shell a few weeks back and didn't know what ate them..... would the auriga, peppermint shrimp, or my pistol shrimp have done this?? I ask bc a few days back the narssius was out and the peppermint shrimp ran towards him and got on top of his shell and the narssius snail moved the back end of his snail really really fast and threw the shrimp off of him, which was weird but funny.... if someone could please be kind enough to help me out with my bf question mainly but also what's going on with what ate these invertebrates that would be awesome...
WIN_20170924_175939.JPG

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Look for fish aggression. Even though you may think it's not happening, it can be happening. Observe unobtrusively for a few days. Give you BF a thorough look using a magnifying glass to see if you notice any irregularities, diseases, or injuries.

jussery17

Well now when I just walked in the door I looked at him a whole lot closer and there is a black spot, not the one they all have, but a blackish spot on his body and it looks like its getting bigger.... any help?? I took him out and put him in a quarantine

jussery17

So I noticed upon further observation, its not little tiny black spots all over the fish but like a bruise looking black on his body.... and its just the butterfly fish.... has anyone dealt with this?

jussery17

Ive been looking up symptoms but its not like the lttle tiny black spots like I said, its more like a bruise looking dark spot on his body.... what is this? Someone?
WIN_20170924_193431.JPG

silverado61

In answer to the hermit question, he has molted and is either hiding deep inside his home shell or is in hiding somewhere else till his exoskeleton hardens and he feels safe enough to come back out. Keep an eye out for him in the next day or two.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is usually associated with stress, unless the lights were out and you turned the lights on in which case lighter fish commonly have that until their colors perk up once they are up from "sleeping".

jussery17

Well the hermit was out of his shell not hiding but I saw his legs sticking up out of the sand and he was next to and legs touching the narssius snail...and this morning the butterfly was turned upside down so I don't think he made it...pretty sure it was possibly a parasite and not stress from lights

jussery17

The bf has been not acting right the past two days and he was really weak when I caught him to put him in a quarantine

jussery17

I just cannot figure why he suddenly started staying in the back corner to himself and developed that one little bruise blackish spot and than died in quarantine..all the other fish are happy as can be and doing great...I just don't get it...I've added nothing to the tank that would introduce any parasite and my perameters have been very good

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Fish can get other illnesses aside from parasites and contagious diseases. It could have been agression. No way to know at this point.

jussery17

Just walked in the door, and all my other fish are happy as can be swimming in the current just being happy, lol, should I worry about any kind of break out or so you think it was just the butterfly?ive got my eye close on everything, but what signs should I mainly look for with those symptoms the bf had..... white spots ? Black spots? Hard breathing?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just keep an eye out. Look for any signs that are not normal to healthy fish. Discoloration, rapid breathing, broken fins, fading colors, listlessness, irregular behavior, spots. Use a magnifying glass to give your fish a good look.