Algae-ridden tank reboot

Pharachu

I've had a 55 gal for about 5 years or so that started to become somewhat over-run with algae. Right now I'm in the process of lots of water changes and pulling out algae and I'm starting to plan for the future.

Currently it has one clown and one chalk bass, a few astrea and narssarius snails scattered, and maybe a hermit or 2 left.

So here are some of my observations and questions:

-I had great luck with a hippo tang in the past and would love to get another tang in the tank, perhaps powder brown or flame fin, but I'm concerned about their compatibility with other fish, and the timing of adding a tang (I've heard they can pick on new-comers). I'm also looking at a foxface and coral beauty angel. Would these three be ok together?

-Also going to be building a new sump/refugium for the tank and am thinking about picking up a 30 gal for this purpose, is their such thing as too big for a sump?

-Any tips on algae removal would be great as well

Thank you for any and all help and answers!

lmforbis

In a 55 no tangs. The tank is way too small they need at least a 6’ tank. Same with the fox face, need a bigger tank for them. Some dwarf angles like the coral beauty do ok but only one.

No such thing as too big for a sump. Just make sure it will fit under your tank. When I had a 55 I needed a custom acrylic sump to fit it under the tank.

beaslbob

I crammed on 1/4 sq plastic grid (egg crate) about 3" in front of the back glass on my old 55g. Then added 2 4' 2 tube shop lights behind the tank pointing forward.

This formed a lit refugium where macro and pods thrived.

nitrates dropped to unmeasureable in 3 weeks and phosphates a few month later.

Meanwhile my two tangs were constantly grazing on the macros the poked through.

Minimal maintenance also.

my .02

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

Algae is fairly easy to fix. Nitrate is a limiting factor in saltwater ecosystems - to to prevent new algae from growing, you have to limit Nitrate in the system. Water changes help, but a nitrate and phosphate absorbing media (in the right amount) will prevent new growth once you remove the old. Then add some snails or herbivorous hermits to the tank to control the rest. Test nitrate and phosphate once a month or so.

snakeblitz33

Oh, and if you aren't doing so already, only use distilled or reverse osmosis deionized water for your top off. Tap water has too many total dissolved solids.

silverado61

Algae is fairly easy to fix. Nitrate is a limiting factor in saltwater ecosystems - to to prevent new algae from growing, you have to limit Nitrate in the system. Water changes help, but a nitrate and phosphate absorbing media (in the right amount) will prevent new growth once you remove the old. Then add some snails or herbivorous hermits to the tank to control the rest. Test nitrate and phosphate once a month or so.
Or an algae scrubber would help tremendously.

snakeblitz33

A 30g sump for a 55g is a bit overkill. If you don't have enough flow through the sump, you might not be doing your tank any favors.

They make acrylic tanks that are 16-18 gallons that fit inside a 55g stand that already have filter sock inserts and other benefits.

lmforbis

I have one of the acrylic sumps that I used to use on my 55. I ordered it from a company called windrider creations. They sell kits (you have to assemble them) or pre assembled. It is a very nice sump.