High nitrites

Memphis Brad

i have a 20 gallon qt that has been set up for three months. Filtering with AquaClear 20 HOB with sponge and Matrix biomedia (both three months old). It went through one cycle. I’ve qt’d two clowns (together) and a coral beauty with no problems. Every time I try to qt a tang, the ammonia spikes and the fish dies soon after. For last month, I’ve only had one damsel in it. Ammonia has dropped, but nitrites have been above 2.0 since Nov 10th. Can’t get them down no matter what I try. Nitrates are around 40. Any thoughts on why it won’t complete the cycle? Before anyone suggests a bad test kit. I’ve tried three different kits and verified with two LFSs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jay0705

Bare bottom is a good idea. The tang is a larger fish so its bio load is bigger. You need the bacteria to be built up enough to handle it. The larger filter would help w more area for them to colonize. You could also add a simple sponge filter aswell. Nitrate alone will not kill fish

mr. limpid

your problem is there isn't enough bacteria to maintain the ammonia of 0. You need to increase your bacteria. Add a larger filter that can hold more biomedia. Plus have a bottle of AmQuel Plus handy and have enough salt water to do a 20% water change ready. Test your water daily and act fast to ammonia. Good luck

Memphis Brad

Got it. Added a second HOB (Fluval 30) today. Stuffed mesh bag with some Matrix I had started seeding in tank previously. Also added a Tupperware container with some sand from my DT. Hopefully that will help. Gotta get it cycled soon. Wife wants fish for Christmas. Thanks for the advice.

Jesterrace

Tangs are notorious waste producers, so it doesn't surprise me given the size of the tank and that there is no live rock in it. So I agree that you need a lot more bacteria in there to break down things.