Creating a QT for LPS corals

Shilpan

Hey guys! So while my fish restocking is good, I was thinking about moving on from soft corals only and adding a few pieces of LPS to my tank. Parameters wise I’m measuring pre and post water change to see what levels it managing, and I don’t think I’ll need to dose initially but maybe in future as I add more coral.

Now I want to go for the 76 day quarantine route for my corals even though it pains me to think about such a long quarantine period. Do you guys think it is possible to get away with a cheap hardware store light bulb and natural sunlight which comes through the garage window? Or will the LPS coral die?
I don’t care about it looking good while in quarantine. But I just want to know if it will survive. Or do I need to invest in some flash lights?

silverado61

If your corals don't look good they're not thriving. If you want to go with a inexpensive light invest in a LED natural white light bulb available at most home improvement centers. You can use a clamp on shop light for this. I would stay away from natural sunlight if I were you.

Shilpan

Ok so the natural daylight bulbs from most hardware stores are sufficient to keep LPS corals alive then? For 76 days?

Once they finish that they’ll be in my DT with with T5’s

Thank you :)

silverado61

Ok so the natural daylight bulbs from most hardware stores are sufficient to keep LPS corals alive then? For 76 days?

Once they finish that they’ll be in my DT with with T5’s

Thank you :)
Just remember when you transfer to turn your display lights down for a couple of days then slowly ramp them over that course of time.

Shilpan

Thank you
I’ll go ahead and try a 65K fluorescent daylight white bulb on a clip on desk lamp. Any “easier” LPS corals you could reccomend? I’m making some space in my DT away from the soft corals so the LPS will have space in future.

lmforbis

I’d stick with something meant for salt water, maybe a 2-4 bulb t5 fixture or one of the cheap Chinese led black boxes. Stick with a relatively shallow tank. That way you won’t need as much light intensity to penetrate the water and reach the coral. You need enough light for them to thrive not just survive. I would also suggest a fish in the tank. Ideally one that has already been through quarantine. The fish waste will help feed the coral.

Shilpan

Thanks for your advice
I looked at these Chinese LED options and they’re quite affordable so something like that could work. Is it ok if I just light half my tank and leave the corals on that side? I have a 40 gallon QT.

And ok I could get a chromis or small blenny in there to provide waste for the corals.

lmforbis

I’d just hang it a foot or so over the tank in the center. The edge may be darker but it also allows you to place coral on the edge if it doesnt like the super bright light. Then you can slowly move it toward the light.

Shilpan

Thank you
I’m still testing parameters because I think I’ll need to start dosing now once I start LPS. Any suggestions for dosing method? Brands?

lmforbis

You probably won’t need to dose for a while especially if you use a reef salt and frequent water changes. I have mostly LPS and hardly ever need to dose. When I do I use BRS two part.

Shilpan

Ok thank you that’s really good to know :) yeah I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt. I usually keep Ca at 410, Mg at 1250, and Alk at 6.5.

So I think I’ll get a little bit of Alk dosing going