60 gallon stock list

I recently was able to add fish to my 60 gallon cube. I have 60lbs live sand and almost 50lbs of live rock. Took around 3 weeks to cycle. I added 2 damsels (one is a three stripped and the other I'm not sure the name but is blue with a yellow belly), a coral beauty angel and flame hawkfish. I'm going to wait a little while before I add anything else, but what would be some good choices to add in there. I also need some sort of clean up crew and was trying to stay away from snails, but it looks like I'm going to need to get some because of the flame hawkfish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The damsels can be quite aggressive so you'll need to take care about what you decide to get. The tank is small, and even has a smaller footprint because it's a cube. I like clowns; maybe you can get a mated pair.

Snails are the best cleanups. If you have a sandbed, I'd go with some Nassarius. They are great to keep the bed clean (as long as it fine sand and not crushed coral).

I got rid of the damsels. They kept chasing each other around and I didn't want to deal with that. I have since got a pair of clowns that seem super happy. Just had a Coral Beauty die out of the blue. It had a white spot on it by its tail but never showed signs of being sick and none of the other fish have the spots and are acting happy and normal. Not sure what happened, but now I'm worried about the rest of them in the tank.

Jesterrace

I got rid of the damsels. They kept chasing each other around and I didn't want to deal with that. I have since got a pair of clowns that seem super happy. Just had a Coral Beauty die out of the blue. It had a white spot on it by its tail but never showed signs of being sick and none of the other fish have the spots and are acting happy and normal. Not sure what happened, but now I'm worried about the rest of them in the tank.
I wouldn't add anything new to the tank for 12 weeks as a precaution. I lost a new male melanurus at the beginning of december. He also showed a white spot on his tail and then had a single clamped down fin with white spots and a small cyst. He went from no signs to dead in about 4 days. I have since fed my two remaining fish with Kent's Garlic for a couple of weeks and thus far they are doing great. As a precaution though I am basically QT my tank for a full 12 weeks to make sure everything is good.

Glad to hear you got rid of the Damsels. They are cheap and hearty but are not good tank mates for other fish.