Persistent nitrate problem

Tsling07

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting rid of nitrates? I am using a couple bags of Nitra Zorb and a pad that supposedly removes nitrates as well but I cannot get rid of them. I also use Purigen. I have a 90 gallon aquarium with a large wet dry filter. I also run two protein skimmers and a UV light. I have about 60 lb of live rock in the tank as well. It hasn't adversely affected my invertebrates as my starfish and my hermit crabs are still alive but I know it's dangerous to them.

jay0705

Nitrates are the least of your worries. They have to get really high to become deadly. That said , a refugium is a good idea

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't mention what your nitrate levels are? What type of setup do you have, fish with just live rock or any corals? What type of substrate are you using? What media do you have in the wet-dry?

Tsling07

My nitrate levels are about 70. I have fish and live rock with some invertebrates. I have a starfish, a few shrimp and hermit crabs. I have live rock and live sand it is about four inches deep. I am using nitrate reducing pads in my wet dry filter. I also have Nitra Zorb in my wet-dry.
You didn't mention what your nitrate levels are? What type of setup do you have, fish with just live rock or any corals? What type of substrate are you using? What media do you have in the wet-dry?
Thank you for your help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is the wet-dry the only filter you have and is their any other media in there aside from the NitraZorb? Also, NitraZorb seems to be a freshwater product. What live sand did you use? Is the sand course or fine?

When was your tank established? You may want to start developing your a sand bed ecosystem. I would get rid of the hermits, as they will devastate most snails, and snails, particularly sandbed dwellers, is one very good choice for getting some movement in your sandbed. I'd suspect that your problem is the wet-dry and the freshwater media you have in there. Avoid using media man-made media in wet-dry systems because they are frequently the culprit of high nitrates. In the hobby, they are actually given the nickname of "nitrate-factories". I've never used a wet-dry myself, but they can be outfitted with natural filter media, such as fine LS, or even macro-algae, which will go a long way in lowering the nitrates.

Tsling07

I will stop using the Nitra Zorb. I didn't know it was for freshwater only. I use purigen and carbon in my wet dry as well. I bought some seachem denitrate as well. I think that is for saltwater. My sand bed is fine sand and my tank has been established for a long time. I will try the media you suggested. Thanks for the reply.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Nitrates can be controlled by natural biological means in your tank without the addition of chems and artificial media. That is actually the best way. You have a sandbed that is sufficient already for starting a deep sand bed. With adequate care as to what you do to prioritize natural biological filtration you can achieve zero nitrites, or at least only trace. I would slowly move toward eliminating your wet-dry as it stands now with the man-made media (nitrate produces) towards biological filtration that can achieved with a balance of sand, live rock, detritivores fauna and even macro-algae. You may be able to convert the wet-dry to accommodate this in part. You will need to find a new home for the hermits. They are fine in specialty tanks where they are featured, or even fish-only tanks, but not in a tank where invertebrates reside.

What is the goal of your tank? Will you be adding corals at some point or will it remain FOWLR?

What is your source water?

Tsling07

Thanks for the advice. I'm not planning on adding corals I want to keep it official only tank. I use RO water in my aquarium. I will find a new home for the hermit crabs in my isolation tank. I'll try the biological filters as well.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Populate your sandbed with sand dwelling creatures. That is your best bet for immediately starting to deal with nitrates. Nassarius snails are a good start, but the hermit has to go before adding any snails. And careful with snails. Research them. Some are not so good for the the aquaria. Also more is not always best. For instance, some snails, such as the Mexican turbo or a Conch will not survive where there is not enough of their food source available. See how to convert the wet-dry into somewhat of a refugium. You should also get a protein skimmer.

Lots of idea and videos out there to give you a start with how to do the wet/dry conversion. Just know that the wet/dry is now your filter system, so you need to gradually establish an alternative before totally taking down what you now have.

Tsling07

Would a sand sifting sea star be a good option? I have two protein skimmers. I'll check out the videos and see how much is involved in changing it.

beaslbob

In order to reduce nitrate you simply have to get the nitrate consumers keeping up with the nitrate producers.

IMHO the best method is algaes like in an algae turf scrubber of by using macro algaes usually in some kind of refugium. The refugium can just simply be an tank partition to keep the livestock and algae separate.

Algae prefers to consume ammonia first then nitrates. So it is possible to have nitrates because the algae is consuming ammonia instead. Once the aerobic bacteria consumes the ammonia, the algae will then consume nitrates. So a cycle could be low or no ammonia but an initial nitrate reading. Then later the nitrates drop down.

Meanwhile the algae is also consuming co2 and returning oxygen, filtering out some toxins like copper, and providing pods and other fish food (including the algae itself).

my .02

Last edited:

Tsling07

In order to reduce nitrate you simply have to get the nitrate consumers keeping up with the nitrate producers.

IMHO the best method is algaes like in an algae turf scrubber of by using macro algaes usually in some kind of refugium. The refugium can just simply be an tank partition to keep the livestock and algae separate.

Algae prefers to consume ammonia first then nitrates. So it is possible to have nitrates because the algae is consuming ammonia instead. Once the aerobic bacteria consumes the ammonia, the algae will then consume nitrates. So a cycle could be low or no ammonia but an initial nitrate reading. Then later the nitrates drop down.

Meanwhile the algae is also consuming co2 and return oxygen, filtering out some toxins like copper, and providing pods and other fish food (including the algae itself).

my .02
Thanks again for the advice. I will try what you said and see if it helps.